[SOLVED] New PC Build PCi-e 4.0 Compatibility

Mar1us

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
Hello
I'm planning to build a pc soon so i gathered some info on parts i want.
With this build I try to look to the future, thats why somehow i want to make it everything compatible with PCi-e 4.0 because speed its superior than PCi-e 3.0.
I made the same build with pcpartpicker and it says everything ok but i want to make sure.
My question: is everything compatible with PCI-e 4.0? I want to know if the components does not have any compatibility problem.
PcPartPicker Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pdkfCL

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 --- Compatible PCi-e 4.0
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 UD Socket AM4 --- Compatible PCi-e 4.0 & GDDR6??
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz CL15 DDR4
GPU:Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB GDDR6 --- Compatible PCi-e 4.0 Gigabyte X570 UD??
SSD: Sabrent 500GB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 SSD
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 80 Plus Gold 650W Modular
Case: DeepCool Macube 310 Classic

Solution
Okay, i will take your advice

@velocityg4 what do you think about larsv8 idea? i personally don't know if it's a good idea.

What @larsv8 says is all true. Although I prefer the Crucial P1 over the 660p and they are both around the same price.

If you do go with just 16GB of RAM. I'd get Crucial or Kingston RAM. They are independent manufacturers. So, you're less likely to run into problems in the future if you decide to upgrade your RAM with the same make and model. Corsair does not manufacture RAM. There is no certainty two sets are contain the same components nor were manufactured by the same company. Which can lead to problems hitting OC speeds.

Just note that even with the Kingston or Crucial RAM. A later...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Are you going to run only SSDs in this build?
Do you edit large photos or X-fer files on a regular basis?
Do you have NIC or Thunderbolt cards?

If no to most of those, then your money can be better spent elsewhere.
You won't even 'see' the speed if what you do doesn't even take advantage of it.

It's all compatible though.

All that matters is that the CPU and Motherboard will do PCIe 4.0. Some card which is PCIe 3.0 or older won't affect anything. In this case your CPU and Motherboard are PCIe 4.0 compliant.

Items like a GPU have no need yet for PCIe 4.0. Yes, your GPU does use PCIe 4.0 for the interface. If you can get one cheaper which does PCIe 3.0. That will have zero effect on the performance of your GPU nor cause any other PCIe 4.0 device to slow down. If that is your concern.

PSU: Don't get that Cooler Master. It is a steaming pile of dung. The Corsair RMx (2018) 550w is the best quality one which doesn't break the bank. Unfortunately good quality PSU have gone way up in price and are difficult to find right now. Avoid the 2019 model as they cut costs/quality.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bq...-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020177-na

Mar1us

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
Are you going to run only SSDs in this build?
I'm planning to buy a HD for storage too.
Instead of the Sabrent maybe should i get Samsung SSD 860 EVO M.2 250GB and a 1TB hard disk?

Do you edit large photos or X-fer files on a regular basis?
No, i don't usually it's just for gaming, videos and software programming.

Do you have NIC or Thunderbolt cards?
No, I don't.

will have zero effect on the performance of your GPU nor cause any other PCIe 4.0 device to slow down. If that is your concern.

Okay ,thank you for your advice, instead of going for a 5500 TX should i go better for Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5???

larsv8

Distinguished
I would not prioritize PCIE 4.0, not going to do anything for gaming.

If it were me, I would downgrade to a B450, and a more budget SSD... I like the Intel 660p, and only 16gb of RAM and then use those savings to upgrade your GPU to a 5700xt. If you can squeeze a little bit higher budget, a 3700x wouldn't be a bad upgrade either.

-Caveat, I know nothing about the hardware requirements for programming

I'm planning to buy a HD for storage too.
Instead of the Sabrent maybe should i get Samsung SSD 860 EVO M.2 250GB and a 1TB hard disk?

No, i don't usually it's just for gaming, videos and software programming.

No, I don't.

Okay ,thank you for your advice, instead of going for a 5500 TX should i go better for Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5???

Don't get overpriced SATA SSD (860 Evo). When you can get a faster NVMe for the same price or less. I'd go with a 1TB Crucial P1. You get double the storage of the Sabrent Rocket for the same price. It's a slower NVMe but I doubt you'd notice much difference. Still much faster than any SATA SSD could ever hope to achieve.

I'd only get the Rx 580 if it is cheaper. The performance between the two is about the same. The 5500XT is a much newer model and will have longer driver update support. Plus it is more energy efficient.

Mar1us

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
The 5500XT is a much newer model and will have longer driver update support. Plus it is more energy efficient
I would downgrade to a B450, and a more budget SSD... I like the Intel 660p, and only 16gb of RAM and then use those savings to upgrade your GPU to a 5700xt
@velocityg4 what do you think about larsv8 idea? i personally don't know if it's a good idea.

What @larsv8 says is all true. Although I prefer the Crucial P1 over the 660p and they are both around the same price.

If you do go with just 16GB of RAM. I'd get Crucial or Kingston RAM. They are independent manufacturers. So, you're less likely to run into problems in the future if you decide to upgrade your RAM with the same make and model. Corsair does not manufacture RAM. There is no certainty two sets are contain the same components nor were manufactured by the same company. Which can lead to problems hitting OC speeds.

Just note that even with the Kingston or Crucial RAM. A later upgrade is not guaranteed to hit the XMP settings. There's just a considerbly lower likelihood of a problem.

In the here and now. The setup mentioned will get you more bang for your buck. You'll just won't have the same degree of upgrade options in the future.

If you are picturing a lot of upgrades down the line get a good X570 board. If you aren't a good B450 is fine. Also x570 lets you split the PCIe x16 PCIe CPU lanes between two slots for x8/x8. Having PCIe 4.0 x8 to one slot for a GPU and another PCIe 4.0 x8 to dual CPU direct SSD is a nice to have feature. If you could ever possibly see using it.

Also the x570 chipset simply gets dual the bandwidth of B450. Due to it being PCIe 4.0 x4 than PCIe 3.0 x4. Handy when you're talking about sharing USB 3.1 Gen 2, 802.11ax, SSD, &C. Over the alloted bandwidth of the x570 chipset.

My personal preference is for a high end motherboard. I expect to get seven years out of the motherboard and CPU. I only expect three years out of a GPU. So, I prioritize those components. Same with the PSU. A good PSU will last ten plus years. Note that is all for main use. I expect all the components to last much longer. They just migrate to a family members computer, home server or something else.

Solution

larsv8

Distinguished
^ I'd say the difference between us is I am comfortable replacing an entire system every 3-4 years, so upgrade ability is not as important to me. I would also argue that having the better GPU pushes back how soon you need to upgrade. To me it doesn't make sense to take less GPU performance now, to pay for the ability to upgrade later.

I am strictly a gamer, and looked into the benefits of PCIE 4.0 and nothing seemed to have a noticeable effect unless you video encoding and transferring large amounts of data frequently.

But hey, that's just me :)

Mar1us

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
Thank you for your answers guys i really appreciate it
If you are picturing a lot of upgrades down the line get a good X570 board. If you aren't a good B450 is fine.

Actually i have an intel 1151 PC it is already 6 years old and with this one i don't really have room to upgrade because its already too old, so i was planning to jump to AMD due to it's recent popularity and prices. I choose the X570 because in the future i plan for sure to do some upgrades(more RAM or just another GPU).
Most likely i will change my RAM to kingston like you guys said because it is an idependent manufacturer but don't know if should i get a 16 or a 32 GB. With 32 in the future i know that i don't have to worry to upgrade RAM for some time.
As for the GPU, i will take a look and see what things i can get.

Mar1us

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
It should look like this after your recomendations:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard:Gigabyte B450 AORUS M
RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB(2x8GB) 3200Mhz CL16
GPU:Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB GDDR6
SSD: Crucial P1 SSD M2 1TB
PSU: Corsair RMX Series RM650x Plus Gold
Case: DeepCool Macube 310 Classic

But i was thinking if should i get RAM with less CAS latency and different speed? or is it good with CL16 and 3200MHz?
I was looking at the GPU Msi Radeon RX 5700 MECH GP OC 8GB GDDR6 do you think its better than Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB?