Build Advice New PC Build! Please advise!

Tinibigz_1992

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2012
Hello,

I trying to work around 1200 US or so in my budget, please see link:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vLHKWD

Advise if anything would be worth changing. I did choose a better GPU over a better CPU since everything I read for gaming seems to take up 4 CPU cores but I don't see many limits to GPU if the CPU outputs the information to the GPU. I might be wrong, just been trying to build this PC for a month now and keep going back and forth and it's driving me a little over the top in regards to price vs performance.

Thank you for the insight.

Tinibigz_1992

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2012
Hello,

I just don't know what performance I would get from this PC. Any chance anyone knows a website I could plug this info into and get FPS results for games out currently? I want to play WOW classic and I know it will run that fine but I also want to be able to run certain games at higher FPS like 144hz. I do have a monitor that supports that feature. I just don't want to spend 1250 dollars and not get what I fully want.

Thank you for the help.

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
Hello,

I trying to work around 1200 US or so in my budget, please see link:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vLHKWD

Advise if anything would be worth changing. I did choose a better GPU over a better CPU since everything I read for gaming seems to take up 4 CPU cores but I don't see many limits to GPU if the CPU outputs the information to the GPU. I might be wrong, just been trying to build this PC for a month now and keep going back and forth and it's driving me a little over the top in regards to price vs performance.

Thank you for the insight.

I would advise to wait to august, new AMD CPUs, new AMD Gpus, and new Nvidia GPUs are coming out, its a bit foolish to build a pc right before this huge storm

Tinibigz_1992

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2012
The system will be able to do 1080p at max just fine. If you want to do higher res (4k) or have a higher refresh rate monitor that you would like to use, it should still be good at med-high graphics presets. It's a pretty strong build.
Hello,

Thank you for the insight, been trying to figure out all the parts over the last month and someone actually letting me know it's solid then advising a personal preference is nice.

Thank you for the insight and kind words.

Tinibigz_1992

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2012
I would advise to wait to august, new AMD CPUs, new AMD Gpus, and new Nvidia GPUs are coming out, its a bit foolish to build a pc right before this huge storm
Interesting, so from your experience in hardware when a new line is dropped to the market then older units go down 10%? 20%? From what I notice in hardware pricing is one day it can be cheaper the next not so much. It's really strange to be honest and hard to know what new line will actually do to other products.

Thank you for the insight I hope to hear from you soon.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That entirely depends on how you look at it. Intel tends to keep prices flat. So your $250 CPU will remain roughly that price until the stock is sold out, despite newer versions coming out. Less true these days with the increase in core count, less chips per wafer, more cost passed to the consumer. AMD does reach out to partners for price reductions, but in this case they are already the budget choice. Launch prices of the 3000 series chips and motherboards will likely be a little inflated at first making the 2000 series look good in comparison. Going to be mostly up to the retailers to offer discounts, and that might clear out available inventory and actually increase prices if you aren't quick enough. You might see discounts on undesirable chips (R5-1400 or something), or "deals" on motherboard bundles where they sneak the full price in with the guise of bundling.

In the past, yes new GPU releases could drive GPU prices lower. Lately, they are suffering from GPU size creep and adoption of new technological standards. AMD adopting HBM made their GPUs quite expensive, and adopting early GDDR6 is also expensive, at least for the moment. AMDs latest mid-range GPU release should shake up Nvidia pricing, but until we have independent reviews on the new cards it will be hard to say where they land. Looks pretty good to supplant the RTX2060/1660Ti as good mid-range choices though. Nvidia will still hold top marks in anything faster than the RTX2070.

Still a rumor what Nvidia's next release will be. My suspicion leans toward RTX cards with Ray Tracing disabled, ie GTX versions of the RTX2070, 2080, and possibly 2080Ti.

In this most recent release, the RTX cards represent a significant increase in GPU size in the same lineup from the previous 10 series. Their price is reflected that way. The older mid range 10 series GTX cards were supplanted by new 16 series cards. More or less, every card went down a notch in that regard, but sometimes at a price increase along with increased performance:

GTX1050 -> GTX1650 (price and performance increase)
GTX1060 -> GTX1660 (rough price parity) -> 1660Ti (price and performance increase)
GTX1070 -> RTX2060 (current pricing make it look like a deal, but the 1070 used to be about $330)
GTX1080/GTX1070Ti -> RTX2070 (rough price parity)
GTX1080 Ti -> RTX2080 (A price increase)
RTX2080Ti

Also new old stock of GPUs tend to 'increase' in price as those are the products that were priced too high to sell well in the first place. Those companies like to hold on to the inventory for maximum profit and hope that less informed buyers will pick them up. Some guy sees an old ad, or someone using one in a video, for what a GTX1070 can do will go out and pay $380 for it when they could get a superior RTX2060 for about $320

Last edited: