[SOLVED] New PC Build Potential Compatibility Issues

Aug 8, 2021
I have recently purchased new parts for my PC, and my build has changed.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2XxgGq

It mentions a potential compatibility issue. It says the pc will likely run but could have issues with certain GPU's.

The issue is between my new Motherboard and my "old" PSU. I don't have a lot of experience with PSU's and compatibility issues, so I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on if this is a big enough issue that I need to go and buy a new Power Supply?

Solution
The high-end 30 series GPUs are very power spikey, so you want a really excellent GPU. Don't need to spend $200 or anything; there are a lot of good PSUs in the $110-$130 range.

We house a curated PSU tier list here. For this GPU, I'd be thinking strictly Tier A, 750W or greater. Think of it as an investment in the long-term health of an excellent GPU.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($83.50 @ Amazon)
Total: $83.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-08 18:50 EDT-0400

That's a good price and even if you go with something else, you're lucky in that...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have recently purchased new parts for my PC, and my build has changed.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2XxgGq

It mentions a potential compatibility issue. It says the pc will likely run but could have issues with certain GPU's.

The issue is between my new Motherboard and my "old" PSU. I don't have a lot of experience with PSU's and compatibility issues, so I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on if this is a big enough issue that I need to go and buy a new Power Supply?
3 problems with that build.
  1. mismatched memory.
  2. the CPU cooler has no chance of cooling that processor.
  3. the power supply is complete garbage. (old green label)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Just to quibble very slightly, the 750W green labels were a good bit better than the lower wattage ones. They at least eschewed group regulation. I'd call them more mediocre than garbage. Not that I'd ever pair it with a 3070 Ti, of course.

Aug 8, 2021
3 problems with that build.
  1. mismatched memory.
  2. the CPU cooler has no chance of cooling that processor.
  3. the power supply is complete garbage. (old green label)

Ok... Suggestions on replacements?
I'm not worried about price as long as its within reason, and I don't have any brand loyalty. I just want whatever will work the best for what I've got. I'm not planning on overclocking at all either.

I'm not worried about the memory mismatch, I hadn't taken off the older ram sticks from the build, I was planning on running the new 16gigs for now until I get a 2nd set. Still haven't seen a game need more than 12-13 ever, lol.

For the cooler, I'm open to suggestions, though its been cooling my 6700k just fine, I don't know how much hotter the 11700k gets on average, can't find that info anywhere.

For the PSU, As I mentioned in my post, im not experienced in that area at all. This is only the second power supply I've ever used. For reference, my knowledge in this area basically boils down to "I need at least 530 wattage for this build".

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The high-end 30 series GPUs are very power spikey, so you want a really excellent GPU. Don't need to spend $200 or anything; there are a lot of good PSUs in the $110-$130 range.

We house a curated PSU tier list here. For this GPU, I'd be thinking strictly Tier A, 750W or greater. Think of it as an investment in the long-term health of an excellent GPU.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($83.50 @ Amazon)

That's a good price and even if you go with something else, you're lucky in that PSU prices seem to be settling down. At the pandemic's heights late last year, good PSUs were regularly out of stock and the ones you could buy were a good $20-$50 more.

Solution
Aug 8, 2021

PCPartPicker Part List

That's a good price and even if you go with something else, you're lucky in that PSU prices seem to be settling down. At the pandemic's heights late last year, good PSUs were regularly out of stock and the ones you could buy were a good $20-$50 more.

Any feedback on this updated list?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Pb3R7X