Question New PC build powers on and displays to monitor - temporarily.

Feb 27, 2022
Noob here. I just built my first PC and followed TechSource's Step-By-Step guide.

It was going smoothly when I first powered it up, and when I started to install Windows 10, although I did have to hit F8 to make the system boot from USB. I got most of the way through setup (around the "enter your email" bit), and then lost signal on my monitor. I waited for a while to see if it would display again as I didn't want to interrupt installation, but it never came back on so I shut the PC off.

Since then, I've tried installing windows (formatting my ssd before choosing to install on it) and the same thing kept happening at that step. I sidestepped this by not connecting to wifi and not signing into email, and was able to finish setup and get all the way to the normal windows desktop. However, again after connecting to wifi, same thing happened.

Now, whenever I turn on my PC, I see the mobo splash screen, then the first windows splash screen for a moment, and then my monitor briefly shuts down before flashing the no signal message. I'm unsure if my windows installation even stuck. The PC is running, but not connecting to monitor long enough to get past the windows splash screen. An LED indicator on my mobo also shuts off - it's usually green when connected to my monitor.

I've tried to reseat the SSD, GPU, RAM, and wifi card (also tried removing wifi card altogether). I've tried booting from USB and from UEFI: USB (although this option just said I cannot install windows on any of my drives). This is my first build so I'm unsure as to what to do. Asked for help on the buildapc subreddit and some users suggested it could be a driver issue, so my next plan is to try to reinstall windows, bypassing wifi as I did before, and try to install my drivers right away. Other than that, I'm lost.

Parts:
  • Ryzen 5 3600 with stock cooler
  • ASUS Rog Strix B450-F Gaming ii
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8gb 3000MHz (on QVL)
  • MSI Ventus 3x GeForce RTX 3060 (OC edition)
  • WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD (1 TB)
  • EVGA 650 B5 650W 80+ Bronze

Feb 27, 2022
Try remounting the CPU cooler. It is possible that if it is not making proper contact the CPU could be overheating and causing a thermal shutdown.
I can definitely give this a shot, but would a thermal shutdown happen that quickly? I applied a pea-sized dot of thermal paste and screwed in the cooler until it wouldn't screw in anymore, and the PC is really only connected to the monitor for maybe 20 seconds max before disconnecting. The PC continues running as well.