[SOLVED] New PC Build Randomly Freezing/Lagging

BullsSpit

Prominent
Jun 1, 2020
Hi all I have been in bad spirits in the past weeks. I just built my pc and I’ve been having an issue that I cannot for the life of me seem to figure out. My computer randomly freezes/lags, it doesn’t matter what I’m doing or how many tabs I have open.

I'll start with my specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
CPU Cooler: Gigabyte AORUS LIQUID COOLER 360
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x570 master
GPU: ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2070 OC edition 8GB GDDR6 (This part was the only part used in my old computer)
Ram: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB Series 32GB(2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Dual Channel Memory Kit 1.35V
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x
SSD: WD Black SN750 1TB PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe M.2 2280
SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB 2.5" SATA III SSD
Case: Corsair 500d RGB

Some back story:
My first issue was after I built my pc which posted at first, I left my pc for a few minutes to grab a bite and when I got back my pc was not on (thought it was sleeping). When I tried to turn it on only the fans and the RGB would work and the led would cycle through 15, 14, and a few other numbers where It would stay on 4d and cycle again. To make this short I figured out it was a motherboard issue rma’d it and It works perfectly fine now and post! However, when I am on it randomly freezes/lags and after about a 10-20min wait the screen goes black and everything is back to normal working smoothly. Usually, this happens once a day and I haven’t had it happen more than that yet. I’ve tried everything I could think of, watching videos with similar issues as well as searching Google for information but I can’t figure it out. I don’t know if it’s another hardware issue or if it is just something simple.
I have a video included showing what it does when it's freezing/lagging.
View: https://youtu.be/dObAXQKjlFU
(This video shows the freeze/lag and what it does)
View: https://youtu.be/lxA5_kLvjKw
(This video shows the end of the freeze/lag going back to normal)

I’ve also updated my bios and shut off computer draining power so that I could clear CMOS. I thought that fixed it as games were performing better with other tasks open on the second monitor but I just had the issue happen again.

The last thing I did was reset windows 10 as well as run DDU to uninstall all GPU drivers. I did so and things were looking good but I got a quick (like 5-10sec) freeze when watching a video followed by a black screen, then back to normal. I also tested my ram using memtest86 so ram seems to be fine.

Right now I can't figure this issue out for the life of me and I'm starting to think that either I got a defective CPU or my GPU is defective...

If you have any guidance to spare it would be very much appreciated, Thanks.

Solution
what i would do before the RMA is a CLEAN win 10 install. you swapped motherboards and even though they were probably the same I would perform a clean win 10 install from a USB installer (not the same as a reset). do this and test to see if still exhibiting the same issues. this is just to eliminate any possibility of issue from the software level. if it's still doing the same thing then likely it'll be a hardware problem and you'll have to isolate the issue from there.... good luck
what i would do before the RMA is a CLEAN win 10 install. you swapped motherboards and even though they were probably the same I would perform a clean win 10 install from a USB installer (not the same as a reset). do this and test to see if still exhibiting the same issues. this is just to eliminate any possibility of issue from the software level. if it's still doing the same thing then likely it'll be a hardware problem and you'll have to isolate the issue from there.... good luck

Solution

BullsSpit

Prominent
Jun 1, 2020

I did reinstall windows 10, but do you mean redownload the whole thing from the USB? Also, once I swapped my mb the windows gave me a crash where I had to troubleshoot it (reinstalling it then too). I’ll maybe give that a shot. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Reactions: norcalsc

TRENDING THREADS