New PC Build - Screen blacks out, sound cuts out, mouse and keyboard lose power

Apr 12, 2018
So I've built a new PC (windows 10) and at random times, at least once a day at random times while i'm gaming my computer screen goes black, sound cuts out, and the mouse and keyboard stop working..I end up having to cut the power and turn the PC back on to get it to work again. :(

Here's what I know/did:
CPU/GPU temps are both well below 60 Celsius when it happens.
I have installed new RAM, but the issue happened before the RAM.
I don't see a critical error in the event viewer.
I went and re installed the RAM and power supply cables.

How can I identify the issue? What sort of software would you use to test if it was the power supply? Any guesses and where else to go from here. Help.

If I'm in the wrong forum, would someone be so kind as to direct me to the right place?

Solution
Use a multimeter/voltmeter to test the PSU.

"Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot." -Jsc, Tom's troubleshooting guide

Also very important to ensure your PSU is capable of handling the load of your build.
Use a multimeter/voltmeter to test the PSU.

"Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot." -Jsc, Tom's troubleshooting guide

Also very important to ensure your PSU is capable of handling the load of your build.

Solution

jdlech2

Prominent
Mar 27, 2018
Does it ever happen when you're not gaming or doing anything GPU intensive? If not, then I guess the PSU is either too cheap, or not strong enough.
A cheap PSU sometimes acts the same as an underpowered PSU. Works great when not under a heavy load, but the voltage collapses before it gets near it's rated power limit.

So what kind of PSU do you have?