Question New PC Build Shut Down, EZ Debug now shows red VGA LED

Jan 17, 2021
Hey Guys,

I built a PC for a friend. After having it for a day or so, he said that any game he played would crash under load after a minute. So I did some tests (trying a different slot, trying a different GPU,etc.), and we eventually chalked it up to being a faulty GPU.

After replacing the GPU, no luck. Later on, we figured out that disabling XMP seemed to solve the issue.

About another day or so later, he tells me that halfway through playing a game, his PC shut down and started showing a VGA Debug error and refused to POST. After trying a few more tests, it seemed that the VGA light was popping up because the GPU was not getting enough power, and that the power supply might be faulty.

After replacing the PSU and RAM (for good measure), the system still wouldn't POST.

Then, I tried to reset the CMOS, take the CMOS out and put it back in after a few minutes, and flash the bios using the button on the back of the motherboard according to the manual, no luck.

What do you guys think could be causing the problem? I'm stumped. I really hope it isn't a faulty motherboard.

The system:
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 ti FTW3
RAM: Corsair vengeance 16GB 3600Mhz
PSU: Corsair RM 650x

Last edited: