Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 [NEW]
PSU: Corsair cx750m [NEW]
CPU: i7 8700k [Not OC'd]
GPU: GTX 1080 GIGABYTE OC WINDFORCE [Not OC'd]
RAM: 28GB mixed - Corsair 3k mhz x2 8gb
Patriot VIPER: x1 4gb 2133hz/ x1 Patriot Viper 8gb
CPU cooler: Zalman Optima II
Case: NZXT H510

I rebuilt my PC a few days ago, I've been getting shutdowns as if I just ripped it out of the wall socket. At first I thought it was the PSU, but i got a new one a month ago and the problem still persists. I also got a new CPU cooler, reapplied thermal paste correctly and the problem still remains.

I also took note that every time it shuts off it takes longer for it to shut off again. For instance I ran Red Dead Redemption 2 and it shut off within 5 minutes. The second time I ran it, it was fine for about 10 minutes. But then when I ran COD: MW right after, it shut off within 2 minutes. I have ran 2 Benchmarks sucessfully so far, while checking CPU temps, and they're ideal, not even going past 65c.

Im honestly at a loss here, And need more expertise on this.

Solution
So far its been a bout 35 minutes running red dead high settings and no shutdown. Thanks for the ram tip. If it shuts down again ill be back. And btw, why would it be the ram? though i know they are different sizes and speeds. theyre still downclocked to 2133.
Mixing RAM is not recommended. Only RAM bought as a matched kit is guaranteed to work together without issues.
Jan 16, 2020
test with not mixing ram? just the 2x8gb?
So far its been a bout 35 minutes running red dead high settings and no shutdown. Thanks for the ram tip. If it shuts down again ill be back. And btw, why would it be the ram? though i know they are different sizes and speeds. theyre still downclocked to 2133.

Mixing RAM is not recommended. Only RAM bought as a matched kit is guaranteed to work together without issues.

Solution

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019

Mixing ram isn't recommended. Even with exactly identical rams with the same speed and the same size, there is the time that it won't match with each other.

For identical ones there's lower chance of incompatibility.
For different ram speed and ram size, higher chance than identical ones.

That's why manufacturers are selling rams in kit (2x2gb (2x4GB) (2x8GB).

TRENDING THREADS