[SOLVED] New PC Build - some questions

rockin5b

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Hello,

I have decided to do an upgrade to my PC. It has been 10+- years since I have built one and things have changed...and I won't get started on PC prices. Lol. Anyways, this is a portion of my new build and I am looking for some answers if I could.

The Mbo - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Extreme AMD AM4 X570S EATX Gaming Motherboard

Processor - AMD 5900x

GPU - ROG-STRIX-RTX3060TI-O8G-V2

If anyone is able to assist with some of these questions it would be appreciated. The first question is about power supply. I have a 750w Thermaltake ps. It is starting to seem a may need to upgrade this also. I am connected to the ATX and pci e power header. At the top and left towards the io of this mbo, as oriented in the case, there are two more 8pin sockets towards the left corner of the board. Do these need to have power to them also?
Another question is about ram. I have been looking around/attempting research about ram that would work well with this setup (gaming primarily). I was thinking 4000Mhz on the ram with much overhead to 64 or 32 gb. Was thinking using two banks rather than all 4 for the memory. I Any suggestions on ram size/setup etc? Thanks ahead for any advice etc.

Solution
Hello,

I have decided to do an upgrade to my PC. It has been 10+- years since I have built one and things have changed...and I won't get started on PC prices. Lol. Anyways, this is a portion of my new build and I am looking for some answers if I could.

Processor - AMD 5900x

If anyone is able to assist with some of these questions it would be appreciated. The first question is about power supply. I have a 750w Thermaltake ps. It is starting to seem a may need to upgrade this also. I am connected to the ATX and pci e power header. At the top and left towards the io of this mbo, as oriented in the case...
Hello,

Processor - AMD 5900x

If anyone is able to assist with some of these questions it would be appreciated. The first question is about power supply. I have a 750w Thermaltake ps. It is starting to seem a may need to upgrade this also. I am connected to the ATX and pci e power header. At the top and left towards the io of this mbo, as oriented in the case, there are two more 8pin sockets towards the left corner of the board. Do these need to have power to them also?
Another question is about ram. I have been looking around/attempting research about ram that would work well with this setup (gaming primarily). I was thinking 4000Mhz on the ram with much overhead to 64 or 32 gb. Was thinking using two banks rather than all 4 for the memory. I Any suggestions on ram size/setup etc? Thanks ahead for any advice etc.
Probably the gurus here could help with PSU since im know nothing about it.

for ram, only ryzen 5000G APUs that are guranteed to be able to do 4000mhz+++ in 1:1:1 (or synced mode) due to architechture, more likely you would like a 3600mhz cl14 ram since its a b die memory and the subtimings might be able to be tightened up again.

32GB is okay if you do multiple workloads or even some codings, handling projects for graphics related things, and stuff like that.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Hello,

Processor - AMD 5900x

750W PSU should be enough but that TT may not be up to scratch, specially if it's older.
You need to connect at least one of those 8pin on the MB but with 5900x I'd suggest both of them so you most probably need new and modern PSU.
Don't know about your (and your software) needs but 32GB (2x16) should be quite enough.
Both, CPU and MB are quite capable of running 4000MHz RAM at acceptable Cl. although in real time you would not see much of difference from practically ideal performance/price 3600MHz with Cl14 or even Cl 16.

Solution

rockin5b

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
750W PSU should be enough but that TT may not be up to scratch, specially if it's older.
You need to connect at least one of those 8pin on the MB but with 5900x I'd suggest both of them so you most probably need new and modern PSU.
Don't know about your (and your software) needs but 32GB (2x16) should be quite enough.
Both, CPU and MB are quite capable of running 4000MHz RAM at acceptable Cl. although in real time you would not see much of difference from practically ideal performance/price 3600MHz with Cl14 or even Cl 16.
Good to go and thanks for the input. That's actually what I have been reading/researching. I have noticed that the 3600 mhz ram does seem to perform well from what I have read. That's what is throwing me off I guess. Even for what they recommend on the Asus website for ram thatbthey have tested the 3600 mhz seems to be what it recommends mostly. This mbo is stated per the manual up to 5000 mhz. I just want something that will go for a decent haul and really get the most out of what I have purchased. The Thermaltake I have had for a very long time has been an excellent PS...but as you mentioned along with others...probably need to jump to an upgrade there too. Thinking about a 1000w.(?)

rockin5b

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Probably the gurus here could help with PSU since im know nothing about it.

for ram, only ryzen 5000G APUs that are guranteed to be able to do 4000mhz+++ in 1:1:1 (or synced mode) due to architechture, more likely you would like a 3600mhz cl14 ram since its a b die memory and the subtimings might be able to be tightened up again.

32GB is okay if you do multiple workloads or even some codings, handling projects for graphics related things, and stuff like that.
Thank you for the input. Yeah gaming is my primary. Just wanting a beast that will do the job for a decent haul.