Question New pc build storage space

NoGagMaestro

Prominent
Jan 30, 2023
I'm trying to decide on what I should use or buy for storage space on my new pc. Current pc has 250gb ssd as OS and C: drive with 2tb hdd as storage. The pc originally came with the 2tb drive as both OS and storage back in 2016/2017. I upgraded to ssd a few years later and used the hdd as storage. With new pc I have a 500gb SSD to use as OS and deciding if I should bring over the 2tb hdd or buy a new hdd or upgrade to Sata ssd drive. The storage will contain video files/movies in 4k and 1080p. I would like to go all m.2 ssd but I can get a 6tb or bigger hdd for the same price as a 2tb ssd. Is 4k video playback that much better on ssd versus hdd? I'm also looking to sell my current pc so I'm thinking keeping the 2tb drive that is already on it might make it sell better/faster as well plus that drive has been used for several years so starting fresh with a new one may be better off.

I have no knowledge of 4k playback requirements.

That would be the first thing I'd try to find out.

Specifically:

Is 4k playback OK from an external HDD?

Does 4k playback from an HDD require that it is an internal HDD?

Does the speed of the HDD matter (5400, 7200, etc)?

I don't know the answers to any of that.

I think you said you had about 3 TB of stuff.

How fast will that grow? 5 TB a year from now or 5 TB in 2027?

Make your best estimate and buy the capacity you need. Guesswork to some extent.

Offhand...I'd think about the following and see if you can shoot holes in it:

Files on an internal HDD, probably 8 TB; speed and brand to be determined.

Second copy of those files on an external HDD, quite possibly using a specific HDD of your own choice, rather than an external "backup HDD" in a pre-packaged enclosure as sold by WD or Seagate, where you DON'T get to choose the HDD inside it.

All of the above assumes SSDs are not within budget.

NoGagMaestro

Prominent
Jan 30, 2023
I have no knowledge of 4k playback requirements.

That would be the first thing I'd try to find out.

Specifically:

Is 4k playback OK from an external HDD?

Does 4k playback from an HDD require that it is an internal HDD?

Does the speed of the HDD matter (5400, 7200, etc)?

I don't know the answers to any of that.

I think you said you had about 3 TB of stuff.

How fast will that grow? 5 TB a year from now or 5 TB in 2027?

Make your best estimate and buy the capacity you need. Guesswork to some extent.

Offhand...I'd think about the following and see if you can shoot holes in it:

Files on an internal HDD, probably 8 TB; speed and brand to be determined.

Second copy of those files on an external HDD, quite possibly using a specific HDD of your own choice, rather than an external "backup HDD" in a pre-packaged enclosure as sold by WD or Seagate, where you DON'T get to choose the HDD inside it.

All of the above assumes SSDs are not within budget.
The files I currently have on storage are not 4k files. They are old tv shows from 80s, 90s and 2000s. Some are blu ray rips/remux files but most are not. I'm just worried about 4k playback going forward. Like if I playback a 4k movie file that is 40 or more gb will it playback better on ssd or is hdd ok. I'm just asking does it make a difference so I know if I can buy a bigger hdd to hold more space or will I need to stick to ssd . I don't keep movies, so once I view the movie it will be deleted so I don't plan on growing anymore storage devices. Actually once I finally get around to viewing all the shows I have they will probably be deleted as well except a handful that are my fave. Hopefully I've explained it better now.

I'm just worried about 4k playback going forward. Like if I playback a 4k movie file that is 40 or more gb will it playback better on ssd or is hdd ok. I'm just asking does it make a difference so I know if I can buy a bigger hdd to hold more space or will I need to stick to ssd .

I'd assume 4k playback requirements are fairly well known in some circles or forums. Don't know myself.

You can get 4 TB SSD for around 250 now. If that is plenty of capacity for you going forward, I'd strongly consider that rather than any further investment in HDD. My current 3 TB HDD is 7 years old and I've decided I'll never buy more HDD. Maybe a 170 dollar difference between HDD and SDD at the 4 TB capacity level.

You're the best judge of your future capacity requirements. If you can get by with HDD for now, maybe cross the 4K bridge when it is actually in your lap....rather than off in the future somewhere. For all I know, you don't need more than 2 TB SSD, which is under $150.

NoGagMaestro

Prominent
Jan 30, 2023
I'd assume 4k playback requirements are fairly well known in some circles or forums. Don't know myself.

You can get 4 TB SSD for around 250 now. If that is plenty of capacity for you going forward, I'd strongly consider that rather than any further investment in HDD. My current 3 TB HDD is 7 years old and I've decided I'll never buy more HDD. Maybe a 170 dollar difference between HDD and SDD at the 4 TB capacity level.

You're the best judge of your future capacity requirements. If you can get by with HDD for now, maybe cross the 4K bridge when it is actually in your lap....rather than off in the future somewhere. For all I know, you don't need more than 2 TB SSD, which is under $150.
You're right, I can test it once I put the new pc together and then decide on storage from there. I just don't want to spend that much on ssd when it will come down later in the year. Thanks