New PC build strange boot up problems (NTLDR missing, and more!)

arbitt

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186211
CPU: i5 2300 sandy
DDR3 Patriot RAM 4GB
Allied 500W PSU
9600GT 512mb graphics card

I'm pretty noobish at PC building, so on first boot up, I was getting no signal on my monitor but all the fans turned on and case LED lit up. I rechecked everything and realized mobo spacers weren't in. Yeah, I just found out what spacers even were...and I only mention this because after I put them in and made sure all the connections were good, I got a signal and boot screen!

I navigated into BIOS screen and made sure my DVD drive was #1 boot priority and saved changes and reset computer.

NO SIGNAL FROM MONITOR AGAIN, but computer turned on; fans and lights and everything. It took me a couple of restarts to get picture to monitor again and this still persists.

So when I do get a signal, I try to boot from my DVD drive which has my Windows Vista disc in it. I get the "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD" screen and...

MY PROBLEM: My keyboard stops responding and I can't get passed the "press any key..." screen. If no disc is in, I get the "NTLDR missing, press ctrl+alt+delete to restart" screen. Keyboard does nothing still. So I have to manually restart comp. I tried waiting on said screens and computer shuts off after like 10 minutes or so.

-Heard USB keyboards have problems here. Connected my PS2 keyboard and that didn't help.
-I CAN navigate the BIOS menu.

So once I get to above screens mentioned, I just get no response from keys pressed. I can't install my OS. I'm about to google CMOS reset and read up on what that is and if it will help me.

Any ideas?

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
The spacers are called stand-offs and hopefully you didn't short out your board when you didn't put them in. Can you use your keyboard past the BIOS screen or does it stop working only when you try to boot from DVD drive?

pairenoid

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
i got that ntdlr error and after 2 weeks couldnt fix it

i read a lot of what the problem could be but was so fed up i just bought a new computer, i would of had to probably just buy a new hdd i think it was dead or dying

it randomly stalled a couple of times before this happened

try booting windows with a usb

arbitt

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011

Think it would be more of a motherboard thing or an HDD thing? Well, my friends were determined that the mobo just sucked since its a "mini" and cheap so I'm gonna try another one. Hopefully that'll work.

Thanks for replies!