[SOLVED] New PC build suggestion (Budget $3750 and possible changes for parts)

TeslaStormX

Honorable
Jul 6, 2016
Template of PC Build:
Why Are You Upgrading: My old PC (about 5-6 years old that costed around $800) is having issues with recording multiple games (Not all at once, but separate recordings of each game). Most of them are newer games, but there are instances of older games having issues with recording. I'm fine if it not exactly the same quality as the game itself, but I can't handle with the heavy lag for new titles like Warzone with the lowest quality settings while recording.

The games I wanted to use is a mixture of older and newer titles, but this is a small list of the common games that I've played in no particular order: AoE2: DE, Payday 2, Warzone MW, Mental Omega, Doom (1993 Zandronum specifically), retro emulators (NES, SNES, etc.), Killing Floor 2, COD:BO3 and many other titles. Obviously I don't want to play multiple games at once but I'm hoping with the parts that I've selected are capable to record these games in 1080p 60fps with a high quality settings in game with little to no lag.

Additional Comments: I've selected the motherboard with a lot of usb ports because I have 7 devices I need to connect to the back. I have 2 other but I can connect that on the top of the PC. I also do not require a optical drive since I have a external one and it seems pointless to have one. I also enjoyed building my PC a while ago and want to do it again, but I need a guide video for installing the PC with CPU Cooler addon. I also realize that this is a insane pc build, but I want to go all-out and want to spend my money on a pc.

Approximate Purchase Date: Late-July (Mainly thinking about purchasing the Ryzen 9 3900 XT but I don't know if it is compatible with the motherboard)

Budget Range: Before (Taxes/Shipping): $3750, I'm alright if it goes over $100 due to shipping/taxes so in Total: $3850

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
Gaming and recording in 1080p 60fps (with Discord and OBS running), Video Editing with Vegas after gaming/recording, Gimp to edit images and Browsing the web/other activities.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, Preferably purchasing this monitor but it is separate from the budget price. (3 of them same model). I also know that the GPU doesn't have sufficient ports for HDMI or Display Port alone so I'm going to mix it up with 2 display ports and 1 HDMI.
Link of the Samsung - Odyssey CRG5 series 24” LED Curved FHD FreeSync monitor - Black: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...reesync-monitor-black/6395561.p?skuId=6395561

Parts to Upgrade: Not upgrading building a fresh PC

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: In order: Best buy, Amazon and Newegg. GPU has to be from Best Buy and I can pick it up to avoid the shipping cost. All of the ASUS parts are available in Amazon or Newegg and that is fine for me.

Parts Preferences: I prefer to use a AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU in this build. I'm trying to have a ASUS parts build to keep it consistent but as long as the parts are efficient for that amount and isn't complete garbage for that price, I'm okay with paying extra for the fancy builds. The only parts that aren't ASUS are the GPU, CPU and Ram.

Overclocking: Maybe.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe.

Your Monitor Resolution: Default 1920x1080

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wwhZb8

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($446.49 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Asus ROG Strix LC 240 80.95 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($167.42 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard ($477.27 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-4000 CL19 Memory ($318.91 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($148.82 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($191.34 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card ($1360.75 @ Best Buy)
Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios ATX Full Tower Case ($331.90 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Asus 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($307.71 @ Amazon)
Total: $3750.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-03 01:20 EDT-0400

Last edited:
Solution
Template of PC Build:
Why Are You Upgrading: My old PC (about 5-6 years old that costed around $800) is having issues with recording multiple games (Not all at once, but separate recordings of each game). Most of them are newer games, but there are instances of older games having issues with recording. I'm fine if it not exactly the same quality as the game itself, but I can't handle with the heavy lag for new titles like Warzone with the lowest quality settings while recording.

The games I wanted to use is a mixture of older and newer titles, but this is a small list of the common games that I've played in no particular order: AoE2: DE, Payday 2, Warzone MW, Mental Omega, Doom (1993 Zandronum specifically), retro emulators (NES, SNES, etc.), Killing Floor 2, COD:BO3 and many other titles. Obviously I don't want to play multiple games at once but I'm hoping with the parts that I've selected are capable to record these games in 1080p 60fps with a high quality settings in game with little to no lag.

Additional Comments: I've selected the motherboard with a lot of usb ports because I have 7 devices I need to connect to the back. I have 2 other but I can connect that on the top of the PC. I also do not require a optical drive since I have a external one and it seems pointless to have one. I also enjoyed building my PC a while ago and want to do it again, but I need a guide video for installing the PC with CPU Cooler addon. I also realize that this is a insane pc build, but I want to go all-out and want to spend my money on a pc.

Approximate Purchase Date: Late-July (Mainly thinking about purchasing the Ryzen 9 3900 XT but I don't know if it is compatible with the motherboard)

Budget Range: Before (Taxes/Shipping): $3750, I'm alright if it goes over $100 due to shipping/taxes so in Total: $3850

Gaming and recording in 1080p 60fps (with Discord and OBS running), Video Editing with Vegas after gaming/recording, Gimp to edit images and Browsing the web/other activities.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, Preferably purchasing this monitor but it is separate from the budget price. (3 of them same model). I also know that the GPU doesn't have sufficient ports for HDMI or Display Port alone so I'm going to mix it up with 2 display ports and 1 HDMI.
Link of the Samsung - Odyssey CRG5 series 24” LED Curved FHD FreeSync monitor - Black: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...reesync-monitor-black/6395561.p?skuId=6395561

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: In order: Best buy, Amazon and Newegg. GPU has to be from Best Buy and I can pick it up to avoid the shipping cost. All of the ASUS parts are available in Amazon or Newegg and that is fine for me.

Parts Preferences: I prefer to use a AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU in this build. I'm trying to have a ASUS parts build to keep it consistent but as long as the parts are efficient for that amount and isn't complete garbage for that price, I'm okay with paying extra for the fancy builds. The only parts that aren't ASUS are the GPU, CPU and Ram.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wwhZb8

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($446.49 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Asus ROG Strix LC 240 80.95 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($167.42 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard ($477.27 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-4000 CL19 Memory ($318.91 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($191.34 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card ($1360.75 @ Best Buy)
Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios ATX Full Tower Case ($331.90 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Asus 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($307.71 @ Amazon)
Total: $3750.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-03 01:20 EDT-0400
You don't need 1200W PSU, 750w would be quite enough, price difference to R9 3950x,
You also need a 360 AIO.

TeslaStormX

Honorable
Jul 6, 2016
You don't need 1200W PSU, 750w would be quite enough, price difference to R9 3950x,
You also need a 360 AIO.

Hi there, sorry for the late response but I wanted to be sure that it has enough watts to power two gpu (the same model)
I did made some changes (CPU for the XT model, CPU Cooler for the 360 AIO and Power Supply for the less wattage). I just wanted to know if this build is much better compared to my first build. I'm also trying to keep it sorta consistent with the ASUS parts only and might go with the more expensive power supply due to the minor price difference.

I also realized that there might be compatible issues with my motherboard and case with the front usb ports, but I check the motherboard usb headers and the case front panels to see that it is actually compatible.

Link to updated setup: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/TeslaStormX/saved/Dr4K3C

I greatly appreciate your assistance, Thank you.

EDIT: Few more question, I have products that are USB 2.0 and I don't know if they will be compatible with the USB 3.2 slots. Are they compatible with the newer slots and will USB 3.1 devices work with it as well?

I was also looking at this motherboard for the higher amount of USB slots to see if it was worth it to switch to this model: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/L2...o-atx-am4-motherboard-rog-crosshair-viii-hero

Last edited:

TeslaStormX

Honorable
Jul 6, 2016
This is a similar post to my older thread (updated and was consider waiting in the older thread), but now I am highly considering purchasing these parts today or tomorrow due the decrease prices of the parts that I have selected and the availability of these parts.

Approximate Purchase Date: Today or tomorrow (although the case is not available atm, I can wait since most of these parts will take two or more weeks to arrive)

Are you buying a monitor: I already have three of them ready assemble and do not need them.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: In order: Best buy, Amazon and Newegg. GPU has to be from Best Buy so I can pick it up to avoid the shipping cost. All of the ASUS parts are available in Amazon or Newegg and that is fine for me.

Also trying to keep the parts as close to ASUS as possible (excluding ssd and ram), so I don't mind spending 280$ on a 1200 watt power supply (which will help in the future if I wanted to add a second graphics card)

I also realized that there might be compatible issues with my motherboard and case with the front usb ports, but I check the motherboard usb headers and the case front panels to see that it is actually compatible. I also have products that are USB 2.0 and I don't know if they will be compatible with the USB 3.2 slots. Are they compatible with the newer slots and will USB 3.1 devices work with it as well?

I was also looking at this motherboard for the higher amount of USB slots to see if it was worth it to switch to this model: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/L2...o-atx-am4-motherboard-rog-crosshair-viii-hero

Besides the motherboard, I wanted to know if all of my parts are completely compatible with each other and do not care for price differences. As stated before all of the items (excluding the case) are available to purchase but will be arriving around 2-4 weeks, so I don't mind waiting for the case.

Link to new build:
PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LYHMk6

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($531.53 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Asus ROG Strix LC 360 80.95 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($191.74 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard ($340.18 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-4000 CL19 Memory ($305.09 @ Newegg)
Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Asus 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($298.38 @ Amazon)
Total: $3367.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-11 12:08 EDT-0400

May as well get a gen 4 SSD seeing as your motherboard supports it:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Asus ROG Strix LC 360 80.95 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($180.36 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-4000 CL19 Memory ($286.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card ($1279.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios ATX Full Tower Case ($421.59 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Asus 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($280.67 @ Amazon)
Total: $3604.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-11 12:33 EDT-0400

Solution

TeslaStormX

Honorable
Jul 6, 2016
May as well get a gen 4 SSD seeing as your motherboard supports it:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Asus ROG Strix LC 360 80.95 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($180.36 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-4000 CL19 Memory ($286.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card ($1279.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios ATX Full Tower Case ($421.59 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Asus 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($280.67 @ Amazon)
Total: $3604.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-11 12:33 EDT-0400
Just a couple of question:
Is this build compatible with each other and will it (record and play) 1080p 60fps with no issue? (mainly no lag and recording only)
Will the USB 2.0 devices work with 3.0 ports?
Is it worth it to switch to this motherboard model? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/L2...o-atx-am4-motherboard-rog-crosshair-viii-hero

Last edited:
Just a couple of question:
Is this build compatible with each other and will it (record and play) 1080p 60fps with no issue? (mainly lag)
I don't know much about streaming but if this build can't do it then I don't know what could.
Will the USB 2.0 devices work with 3.0 ports?
Yes
They are both nice motherboards.

The thing that jumps out at me with this build is the cost of the case, over $400 seems like a lot. I guess if you really, really like it but still.

You won't likely be able to run RAM at DDR4-4000 speed on 3rd-gen Ryzen while maintaining a 1:1 fabric clock. Generally it tops out around DDR4-3600 to 3733. I don't believe that has changed with these XT refresh processors. If you go over that speed the fabric clock gets cut in half, resulting in lower performance in latency-sensitive applications like games, so it's probably not worth paying extra for DDR4-4000 unless you want to run it at a slower speed and manually optimize the timings.

TeslaStormX

Honorable
Jul 6, 2016
I don't know much about streaming but if this build can't do it then I don't know what could.

Yes

They are both nice motherboards.

The thing that jumps out at me with this build is the cost of the case, over $400 seems like a lot. I guess if you really, really like it but still.
I don't really plan to stream, only record so I'm hoping it works out smoothly

So with the case the original price is 199$, but for whatever reason the price doubled and it now expensive. I'm going to have to wait for the other parts to arrive so it not a big deal for me since it should change.

TeslaStormX

Honorable
Jul 6, 2016
You won't likely be able to run RAM at DDR4-4000 speed on 3rd-gen Ryzen while maintaining a 1:1 fabric clock. Generally it tops out around DDR4-3600 to 3733. I don't believe that has changed with these XT refresh processors. If you go over that speed the fabric clock gets cut in half, resulting in lower performance in latency-sensitive applications like games, so it's probably not worth paying extra for DDR4-4000 unless you want to run it at a slower speed and manually optimize the timings.
Would this be a better alternative? It has more ram (64GB) but the speed is ddr4-3600 which is within your estimate range and its on sale!

Edit: I'm a idiot for not including the link
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-64gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232990?Item=N82E16820232990

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Honestly, this whole build is ludicrous for the stated purpose. This is the equivalent of buying an entire cement truck to repair a crack in your sidewalk.

At 1080p, even high framerate 1080p, you're literally dropping a couple grand for which you'll see nothing. You won't see any meaningful benefit with this monitor and plan over someone with a 2070 Super, 32 GB of DDR4-3600 with a good CAS, a $250 motherboard, and a quality 750W that's half the price (and even this is a bit beyond what is actually necessary for your purposes). If you just want to spend money to spend money, that's fine, but make sure you know going in that you're spending at least $1500 for no actual real-world benefit for your stated purpose.

TeslaStormX

Honorable
Jul 6, 2016
Honestly, this whole build is ludicrous for the stated purpose. This is the equivalent of buying an entire cement truck to repair a crack in your sidewalk.

At 1080p, even high framerate 1080p, you're literally dropping a couple grand for which you'll see nothing. You won't see any meaningful benefit with this monitor and plan over someone with a 2070 Super, 32 GB of DDR4-3600 with a good CAS, a $250 motherboard, and a quality 750W that's half the price (and even this is a bit beyond what is actually necessary for your purposes). If you just want to spend money to spend money, that's fine, but make sure you know going in that you're spending at least $1500 for no actual real-world benefit for your stated purpose.
I am aware that this build is extremely expensive, unnecessary and I understand that there are other alternative cheaper builds to achieve the same performance rate (or even more stated by you). I don't know why but I just like to make a ASUS build itself for the aesthetics (aka the logo and build). The only part that I think I went insane on is the power supply which is insanely too much even for dual graphics cards.
I appreciate the warning of this build and I understand that this build isn't for everyone and I think its for those who like premium items. I hope I didn't responded to this reply aggressively.

DSzymborski

Titan
I am aware that this build is extremely expensive, unnecessary and I understand that there are other alternative cheaper builds to achieve the same performance rate (or even more stated by you). I don't know why but I just like to make a ASUS build itself for the aesthetics (aka the logo and build). The only part that I think I went insane on is the power supply which is insanely too much even for dual graphics cards.
I appreciate the warning of this build and I understand that this build isn't for everyone and I think its for those who like premium items. I hope I didn't responded to this reply aggressively.

No, it's perfectly alright! I just wanted to make sure you were aware going in that you were spending a lot more than you needed to for the performance.

Would this be a better alternative? It has more ram (64GB) but the speed is ddr4-3600 which is within your estimate range and its on sale!
It's probably a fine option, though you wouldn't likely see any benefit from going with 64GB over 32GB anytime soon. 16GB is generally considered enough for gaming at this time, and 32GB will likely be plenty for some years to come. Any RAM not getting used will just be sitting there, not really doing anything.

One alternative option might be something like this 32GB kit, which currently costs $75 less, and offers tighter timings (CAS 16 vs CAS 18) so it should actually perform slightly faster...

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232906

Whatever RAM you go with, just make sure you enable the XMP / DOCP profile for DDR4-3600 in the motherboard's BIOS settings though, so that it can run at that speed.