Question New PC build that worked for a week and now now does not boot.

Trenton Quinn

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
To begin a tale of great sorrow and absence of solution I must first say that the system has changed cpu ,psu , and mb and still has consistent issue. The current system:
Ryzen 3800x cpu w/stock CPU cooler
Rog strix x570-E Motherboard,
32 gb Trident z Royal 3600mhz Memory,
Corsair HX1200i psu,
Asus strix rtx2080ti
2- 2tb Intel ssd m.2 drives

So when it was first assembled into the case it worked and I installed benchmarks and steam and the withcer 3 and even played it. It was about a week of testing and seeing the CPU get to around 81°c during stress test after 15 minutes. I wanted a better CPU temperature so I ordered a be quiet Dark Rock TF CPU cooler and installed it. Immediately upon booting it kicked the breaker in my home and fried the at the time thermaltake toughpower grand1200w platinum. The only thing that was changed between a functioning PC and a non functional was the CPU cooler. Replaced the power supply with the same thing through warranty and tested again with the exact same immediate breaker being tripped. At that point I refunded the power supply and went with the Corsair hx1200i and then the next problem occured. Now tryimg to boot the lights would be on throughout the motherboard and ram but when I hit the power switch the fans spin for a brief second stop and nothing else happens. I pulled the CPU and tested in a friends system and confirmed the CPU was dead. Replaced CPU and motherboard with same model and tried to boot. Same problem with fans and no boot. The motherboard would have the CPU light flash for a milisecond when I first hit the power switch. After reading some reviews of people syog they had similar with them replacing CPU to find out it was the motherboard. I decided to ditch the gigabyte aorus x570 pro wifi in Liu of a Asus strix x570-E. This was all in vain hope that it would fix the issue. Now after reassembling with stock CPU cooler on new board and CPU I tried to boot with exact same issue of fans spin for a second and then no boot. No q code readout, no light on the motherboard signifying a problem with a component. I have it sitting on a cardboard box as a test bed now and am out of ideas of what common denominator could cause an issue like this. Any help or suggestions are welcome since I'm all out myself.

To begin a tale of great sorrow and absence of solution I must first say that the system has changed cpu ,psu , and mb and still has consistent issue. The current system:
Ryzen 3800x cpu w/stock CPU cooler
Rog strix x570-E Motherboard,
32 gb Trident z Royal 3600mhz Memory,
Corsair HX1200i psu,
Asus strix rtx2080ti
2- 2tb Intel ssd m.2 drives

So when it was first assembled into the case it worked and I installed benchmarks and steam and the withcer 3 and even played it. It was about a week of testing and seeing the CPU get to around 81°c during stress test after 15 minutes. I wanted a better CPU temperature so I ordered a be quiet Dark Rock TF CPU cooler and installed it. Immediately upon booting it kicked the breaker in my home and fried the at the time thermaltake toughpower grand1200w platinum. The only thing that was changed between a functioning PC and a non functional was the CPU cooler. Replaced the power supply with the same thing through warranty and tested again with the exact same immediate breaker being tripped. At that point I refunded the power supply and went with the Corsair hx1200i and then the next problem occured. Now tryimg to boot the lights would be on throughout the motherboard and ram but when I hit the power switch the fans spin for a brief second stop and nothing else happens. I pulled the CPU and tested in a friends system and confirmed the CPU was dead. Replaced CPU and motherboard with same model and tried to boot. Same problem with fans and no boot. The motherboard would have the CPU light flash for a milisecond when I first hit the power switch. After reading some reviews of people syog they had similar with them replacing CPU to find out it was the motherboard. I decided to ditch the gigabyte aorus x570 pro wifi in Liu of a Asus strix x570-E. This was all in vain hope that it would fix the issue. Now after reassembling with stock CPU cooler on new board and CPU I tried to boot with exact same issue of fans spin for a second and then no boot. No q code readout, no light on the motherboard signifying a problem with a component. I have it sitting on a cardboard box as a test bed now and am out of ideas of what common denominator could cause an issue like this. Any help or suggestions are welcome since I'm all out myself.
There is absolutely no way your system should be trashing a power supply that powerful. Your system is pulling maybe 400-500 watts on a stress test. You’ve got a power issue, poor wiring, weak breaker or something in your house IMO. I’d try at a friends house, but an 850 watt PSU would be overkill for your system, 1200 watts would power a whole other 2080ti and still have room for days.

Trenton Quinn

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
There is absolutely no way your system should be trashing a power supply that powerful. Your system is pulling maybe 400-500 watts on a stress test. You’ve got a power issue, poor wiring, weak breaker or something in your house IMO. I’d try at a friends house, but an 850 watt PSU would be overkill for your system, 1200 watts would power a whole other 2080ti and still have room for days.
I took your advice and swapped psu with another I had in a different build and as it turns out I had a FireWire card that was causing the issue. It was a FireWire with a molex power plug so I thought it would be a good choice. I guess for the moment that will halt it being hooked up to some audio equipment until I can find a suitable replacement. When swapping psu I ran into the same issue when trying to boot, and not 5 minutes before that psu was in a functioning PC. This led me to unhook the FireWire card and try and it booted. I then reconnected the psu presumed bad and it all works now. I thank you for the advice since I had disconnected the FireWire previously and nothing changed. Without your recommendation who knows how much longer I would have been troubleshooting. I think there was a poor connection somewhere that was reseated when I swapped power supply. Thanks again.

Reactions: bmockeg