Question New pc build troubleshooting

May 27, 2024
Hi everyone, I just built my first pc a week ago and I’ve run into very slow/laggy performance after windows has loaded. I’m getting around 10FPS at the Home Screen. At the home screen it even takes my mouse a few seconds to respond with no applications running. Everything works fine in the BIOS screen. My pc specs are below:

Motherboard: MSI B650M Project Zero
PSU: MSI MAG A1000GL
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d
GPU: MSI 4070TI Super Ventus 2x OC
SSD: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 CL30 32GB AMD Expo
Cooler: MSI Mag coreliquid E360

Cpu temps look great idling around 30C. I’ve updated the motherboard BIOs to the latest and greatest. I’ve reinstalled windows 2x. I was able to launch BG3 and I noticed that the GPU was only pulling 80W max while under load. I brought my computer to a shop and they did all the same troubleshooting steps and claim it's a GPU issue and I should RMA the gpu. The same shop also told me that the system seemed to work fine in safe mode. They also double checked to make sure the components were in the correct place.

I'm getting my computer back tomorrow. Im going to try to install an older GPU and see if that fixes the issue. Any recommendations if that doesn’t fix the issue? Could it be a bad motherboard or CPU?

Thank you in advance for the help!

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe what the pc is doing or perhaps trying to do.

Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

The objective being to discover what system resources are being used, what is using any given resource, and to what extent.

Observe performance first the original GPU and then with the older GPU. However, "older" may skew the results.

Be very methodical and think about any discovered "differences" with respect to differences between the GPUs.

Hi everyone, I just built my first pc a week ago and I’ve run into very slow/laggy performance after windows has loaded. I’m getting around 10FPS at the Home Screen. At the home screen it even takes my mouse a few seconds to respond with no applications running. Everything works fine in the BIOS screen. My pc specs are below:

Motherboard: MSI B650M Project Zero
PSU: MSI MAG A1000GL
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d
GPU: MSI 4070TI Super Ventus 2x OC
SSD: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 CL30 32GB AMD Expo
Cooler: MSI Mag coreliquid E360

Cpu temps look great idling around 30C. I’ve updated the motherboard BIOs to the latest and greatest. I’ve reinstalled windows 2x. I was able to launch BG3 and I noticed that the GPU was only pulling 80W max while under load. I brought my computer to a shop and they did all the same troubleshooting steps and claim it's a GPU issue and I should RMA the gpu. The same shop also told me that the system seemed to work fine in safe mode. They also double checked to make sure the components were in the correct place.

I'm getting my computer back tomorrow. Im going to try to install an older GPU and see if that fixes the issue. Any recommendations if that doesn’t fix the issue? Could it be a bad motherboard or CPU?

Thank you in advance for the help!
Remove the gpu and connect to the igp.....test