Question New PC build,VGA debug light lit up giving no display. Sometimes PC will display . Should I change something in BIOS/ something else?

Mar 7, 2020
CPU: Ryzen 3600 with stock cooler
MOBO: B450 Tomahawk Max
GPU: RX 580 XFX
SSD: Samsung 869 evo; 500 GB
RAM: EVO X II DDR4 3600MhZ

Just built a pc yesterday and was having issues with the CPU debug light. Eventually it fixed itself and now all my issues are with the VGA debug light.
Just built a pc yesterday and was having issues with the CPU debug light. Eventually it fixed itself and now all my issues are with the VGA debug light.

I turn on the pc and CPU debug lights for 1 second then turns off. After 3ish seconds the VGA debug will turn on and there will be no display. Sometimes, I can get it to turn on (this last time worked because I plugged in HDMI while TV was turning on?) so I guess I’m just wondering if theres some setting I should turn on when I get the chance.

Last thing I did was attempt to update windows but the restart put my PC back to “VGA debug led mode” Usually when I get it to turn on it’ll be consistent for a few cycles and work. Last time it turned on seemed to because I was turning my TV on at same time as plugging in HDMI. Going to try and grab a DVI cord today, someone also suggested updating BIOS. Seems kind of risky to me considering these motherboards should ship being compatible, can give it a try as well.

Things I have tried; reseating RAM, GPU and CPU.
Unplugging everything from power and plugging back in, and a few CMOS clears. Loosening mobo and stock cooler screws.

CPU: Ryzen 3600 with stock cooler
MOBO: B450 Tomahawk Max
GPU: RX 580 XFX
SSD: Samsung 869 evo; 500 GB
RAM: EVO X II DDR4 3600MhZ

I turn on the pc and CPU debug lights for 1 second then turns off. After 3ish seconds the VGA debug will turn on and there will be no display. Sometimes, I can get it to turn on (this last time worked because I plugged in HDMI while TV was turning on?) so I guess I’m just wondering if theres some setting I should turn on when I get the chance.

Last thing I did was attempt to update windows but the restart put my PC back to “VGA debug led mode” Usually when I get it to turn on it’ll be consistent for a few cycles and work. Last time it turned on seemed to because I was turning my TV on at same time as plugging in HDMI. Going to try and grab a DVI cord today, someone also suggested updating BIOS. Seems kind of risky to me considering these motherboards should ship being compatible, can give it a try as well.

Things I have tried; reseating RAM, GPU and CPU.
Unplugging everything from power and plugging back in, and a few CMOS clears. Loosening mobo and stock cooler screws.
I have the MSI B450 Tomahawk not the MAX but they are the same. Sometimes it can stuck at VGA debug led because i have my monitor OFF while booting the computer. If you dont have a cable (hdmi,displayport) plugged it will stuck too. It can also stuck there if the GPU dont have connected the power cables or not enough power is coming. You should update your bios for sure.

Mar 7, 2020
I have the MSI B450 Tomahawk not the MAX but they are the same. Sometimes it can stuck at VGA debug led because i have my monitor OFF while booting the computer. If you dont have a cable (hdmi,displayport) plugged it will stuck too. It can also stuck there if the GPU dont have connected the power cables or not enough power is coming. You should update your bios for sure.
Can you link me to the process of updating my BIOS? Definitely scared of the idea and most the guides I’ve seen needs access to the BIOS

Can you link me to the process of updating my BIOS? Definitely scared of the idea and most the guides I’ve seen needs access to the BIOS
Get here https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX and download the latest version of bios (7C02v35) then you need to store the file in a usb flash drive. Then restart the computer and spam the delete key until you get to the bios. There is a m-flash option press it and then select the bios from the list and you wait until the update end. Make sure the power will be on this time because if the computer somehow turn off while bios updating probably it will destroy the motherboard.

Mar 7, 2020
Get here https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX and download the latest version of bios (7C02v35) then you need to store the file in a usb flash drive. Then restart the computer and spam the delete key until you get to the bios. There is a m-flash option press it and then select the bios from the list and you wait until the update end. Make sure the power will be on this time because if the computer somehow turn off while bios updating probably it will destroy the motherboard.
So I should wait until I can get into the BIOS to do this? Can probably get it to happen at some point today. Cant you update these even without getting into the BIOS? Not sure which would be more safe for me