[SOLVED] New PC Build: Water vs. Air Cooling

StanislawBarqus

Commendable
Oct 5, 2020
Looking to build a new PC, and I am conflicted on which type of CPU cooler to get. I am drawn to some of the out-of-the-box (Cooler Master ML 240L, for example) water coolers that are out right now, because of their relative inexpensiveness and quietness. However, I have seen reviewers state that if overclocking and streaming is not in the picture, I would be better off with a fan-based cooler such as the Noctua varieties, due to when water coolers fail, they can fail BIG.
Usually I keep my PC about 5+ years or so before upgrading my system, so I have a few questions:
  1. Does anyone with water cooling systems notice any instances of catastrophic failure (leaks, pump issues) over a longer period of installation with out-of-the-box products?
  2. I noticed the Noctua NH-D15 weighs over 1,300 grams (!). Am I risking damage around having something that heavy hanging off the mobo? ( I figure I could go smaller since I usually never overclock).
Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Solution
I was looking at a CoolerMaster version of one of these. I'm not opposed to it, I am just wanting something that will last the life of the PC without too much bother. I have had good experience with fans, but having a bit quieter and cooler system is appealing.
To me it would depend on the processor.

1. AIO's should last 5 years unless the pump fails, their usually louder than air, if the pump fails your PC is 100% down, have a cleaner look.

2. No problems using big air coolers because of the weight.
  1. AIOs can fail. some are DOA others have fabrication fails. doesn't happen often but can happen as with any product.
  2. as do GPUs. unless you decide to throw your rig into a car regularly I wouldn't worry about.

as for the best cooler - it depends on what CPU you're looking at.

StanislawBarqus

Commendable
Oct 5, 2020
Are you opposed to using an all-in-one? I use a corsair hydro 150i and I haven't had any issues with it.
Link: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Hydro-Series™-PRO-RGB-Liquid-CPU-Coolers/p/CW-9060031-WW
I was looking at a CoolerMaster version of one of these. I'm not opposed to it, I am just wanting something that will last the life of the PC without too much bother. I have had good experience with fans, but having a bit quieter and cooler system is appealing.

I say pick one you like with good reviews. My system runs super quiet and doesn't generate a lot of heat! Infact, my monitors are the biggest heat generators I do believe.
I wish they made all in one coolers for monitors!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
To me it would depend on the processor.

1. AIO's should last 5 years unless the pump fails, their usually louder than air, if the pump fails your PC is 100% down, have a cleaner look.

2. No problems using big air coolers because of the weight.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS