New pc build which does not boot with dedicated graphics card installed

Patricija

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
I just build my first pc. Everything seems to work fine when I turn it on (all the fans, lights, etc.), except for it doesn't go to BIOs, I only get black screen (and no beeping), which soon goes to power saving mode.

The main specs are:
CPU: Intel i7 4790k
MB: Asus Z97 pro gamer
GPU: Gigabyte nvidia geforce GTX 960
and the power supply of 750W.

I am connecting the graphics card to my monitor through DVI cable, the monitor is LG and about 7 years old. I tried to connect with both DVI inputs on graphics card, but none of them worked.

Later I tried booting the computer without the Gigabyte graphics card (MB has integrated graphics card) and it all worked fine. It booted and I managed to install Windows. But whenever I try to turn the computer on with Gigabyte graphics card inside, I get no display, while all the other components seem to work fine.

The Gigabyte graphics card itself is not dead - all the fans and lights are working fine. It seems as if there was a connection problem between monitor and graphics card or maybe graphics card and the motherboard, I really don't know.

Any suggestions on how to solve this are very much appreciated.

Solution
No that south bridge was just a tab and I think isn't present in your motherboard, That's how it looks like in my BIOS. The main thing is that you did switch the primary display adpapter to PCI-E and it still didn't work. The last thing I could say to this problem is that you got a dead card. Because even if you left it in auto and hadn't changed it to PCI-E, it should've auto detected that a graphics card is present, Like I said before graphics card these days are a plug and play. Hope it helped, Good Luck.

Sensei Gamer

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
Just to be sure try using the other connections too like the display ports and the HDMI and see if it works. Also try using a different monitor or if you have a TV at home you can try and connect to it using HDMI or display port, If it still doesn't work then it might be possible that you got a DoA card and the only option you get is RMAing the card. Usually graphic cards are a plug and play. Plug it in, put 6 pin power plug or 8 pin, turn on computer, goes to windows, install latest drivers, play games. That's how my GTX 960 is. You are not using any adapters are you? like VGA to DVI? Because I had problems using those kind of adapters, Anyway cheers! :)

Patricija

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
@Sensei Gamer
I tried it with a different monitor and with our TV, none of them get signal. Also I tried with both DVI and HDMI, but nothing. I am using no adapters. In my BIOs my primary graphics card is set to "Auto". Do you think it would help if I set it to "PCI Express"?

Patricija

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
I have also just noticed that there is a red light turned on on the motherboard, by the light it says PCIEX 1_1 and it's just above where my graphics card is plugged in. Does that mean something?

Sensei Gamer

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
So did you plug the graphic card in the slot at the lower PCI-E slot. You should always plug in the graphic card at the highest PCI-E slot. I think that code means that "Plug me in here" :) and in the BIOS try swithching to PCI Express. It's in the south bridge option right?

Patricija

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
I have tried all the PCI-E slots. I began with the highest one, it did not work so I tried with all the others, but none works. I also switched to PCI Express in BIOS, but it did not help. I am sorry, what is this south bridge option? I am not really an expert here :??:
And thank you so much for all the suggestions! :)

Sensei Gamer

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
No that south bridge was just a tab and I think isn't present in your motherboard, That's how it looks like in my BIOS. The main thing is that you did switch the primary display adpapter to PCI-E and it still didn't work. The last thing I could say to this problem is that you got a dead card. Because even if you left it in auto and hadn't changed it to PCI-E, it should've auto detected that a graphics card is present, Like I said before graphics card these days are a plug and play. Hope it helped, Good Luck.

Solution

Patricija

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
I was able to bring the graphics card to my friend and in his computer all worked well. So the graphics card and motherboard separately work, but together not. I am guessing the Asus Z97 pro gamer and Gigabyte Geforce GTX 960 are not compatible, which surprised me quite a lot.
Nevertheless, thank you so much for your help.