New PC build, WiFi is very slow, only for the PC

SamuelParker

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017
Hello,

So I just built my first PC a week ago. It is going to be used primarily for online gaming but also for homework and web browsing. I bought with my new PC, a wireless adapter from Newegg.ca, the TP-Link TL-WN725N Wireless N Nano USB Adapter.

My ISP is Bell Canada, as it is the only ISP available in our area. I live in a rural area, just outside a small town of about 10,000 and 15 minutes from a small city of about 100,000. In this area, the internet runs through very crappy, old power lines, which our ISP keeps promising will be upgraded, but we know they probably never will be, at least for a long time.

So, we are paying for a 5mbps download, and a 1mbps upload. When no one else is on the network I get about 5-6mbps download and 0.65mbps upload on all other devices, phones, tablets, laptops. (It gets quite a bit slower when someone else is watching youtube or netflix). However, on my new gaming PC, I am only getting 1.3mbps download and 0.15mbps upload.
(These speeds were all measured from the room where my PC is, which is upstairs, and above the modem which is downstairs. Furthermore, these speeds are all from Bell.ca's internet speed test and from the "speed - device" category).

Our internet has always been bad and I have gotten used to it, but the speeds on my PC right now are unusable, 10 minute downloads take hours, google searches take upwards of 45 seconds, etc.

I have downloaded the drivers for my graphics card, wireless adapter and the audio and chipset drivers from my motherboard. I have not downloaded my motherboard's "Killer Network On-board LAN" drivers yet but I don't think that is the problem as I am using WiFi, plugged into one of my mobo's USB ports for internet, not the ethernet port.

I would be very grateful for any input you may have, I really need to get this resolved so I can hplay games tolerably and do homework more efficiently. (Another, note, my PC is even struggling to play Youtube videos at 144p, and it is not a GPU problem because I am running World of Tanks at Max graphics, 120fps+).

Here is a rundown of my system specs and other info you may need:

Gaming PC Hardware List

Intel Core i3-7100, 7th Gen Kaby Lake CPU (3.9GHz)
MSI B150 Gaming M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4-2800MHz RAM
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 3GB GPU
Corsair SPEC-ALPHA ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Semi-Modular ATX PSU

TP-Link TL-WN725N Wireless N Nano USB Adapter
BenQ GW2265HM 21.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor
Cooler Master Devastator II Wired Gaming Keyboard
Razer Naga 2014 Gaming Mouse
Razer Kraken World of Tanks Edition Headset

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (USB Flashdrive)

My WiFi Adapter is described in my Network Properties as "802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter".
It supports up to 150mbps and I believe it runs on 2.4GHz (though I don't really know what that means).

Modem

Bell Home Hub 2000

Again, thank you for any and all input, I would be enormously happy if you could help me figure this out.

SamuelParker

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017

I have not connected my PC with an ethernet cable as the modem is downstairs and through the hall. Do you think I should maybe invest in a powerline adapter, to connect my PC via ethernet?