New PC build will not boot fully. RGB works with CPU cable disconnected

Oct 18, 2018
>>I was prompted to ask this from this question: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/346282-28-computer-boot-power-cable-plugged-fans-spin-couple-seco

Hello all.

I'm in quite an issue. And as I posted above, I'm here because the other post I found didn't help much, just gave me more questions to the problem.

I'm building a new PC. Now, before I start this story, I will say that I was strapped for cash during this build and I did the dumb thing of ordering parts one at a time.

Now, I installed EVERYTHING last night. After installing, I attempted to power it on. Everything kicked on for a brief moment (Less than a second), and then went off.

-I checked all my grounding posts, everything is fine and grounded.

-I verified 4 times that all my connections were in properly.

-I was grounded the entire time of install.

So, I begin to tear it down and work through some things. I narrowed it down, via the LED indicators, that it would quickly flash at the CPU and then stop. So, I popped open the CPU tray to find ONE single bent pin. The pin is well bent out of place past the point of simple repair.

I took to the net, finding what I could. Nothing really specified, and this issue was happening for a while prior to me installing my RAM, I just thought the RAM was needed to get past this. This lead me to believe the pin was bent prior to install and I just missed it.I'm currently in a struggle with Amazon and ASUS over who's fixing this.

I continued to poke and switch around ports.

I got somewhere after disconnecting the CPU power cable from the Mobo. The RGB began lighting up. No fans powered on, just the RGB. Now from this point, I'm left scrambling with questions. In this case, my question is this:

-Could this issue be with my CPU?

-Could the issue be caused by the bent pin?

-Is the issue entirely something else?

BUILD:
>MOBO: ASUS ROG Z370-E
>CPU: Intel i6600-k
>RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 3200MHz
>PSU: Corsair 750w RMx Modular
>COOLER: CORSAIR H100i
>CASE: CORSAIR 570x

Any help would be appreciated :)

Oct 18, 2018

Thats the fun part. Amazon wasn't going to fix it because of the length of time I had the mobo (sealed in box for a month after delivery) and ASUS told me they wanted $150 to repair it. Finally, I got Amazon to agree to fix it for free. I just need to send it out.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018

Good stuff. Did ASUS say what the $150 was for? If it was under warranty then you should just have to pay shipping and handling.

Oct 18, 2018

The guy on the phone was telling me it was a "hold charge." and when I asked for explanation, he quickly dodged the question. And several times after when I asked, he continued to dodge it. Which seemed incredibly unsavory. At that point I asked him if he really thought it was fair to charge for something within the manufacturers coverage and he didn't give much of an answer. But I called Amazon back and they're gonna repair it. Worst case: I just go to Micro Center and buy the Mobo + an i7.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018

Here is the statement from their RMA policy form. Unless the shipping on your mobo was $140, then the guy you talked to didn't know what he was talking about or he was trying to take advantage of you. Considering the reputation that ASUS customer service has, I'm gonna go with the first option.

"A single authorization hold* will be placed on the credit card prior to shipment. The single authorization hold amount
will consist of the following: Original MSRP (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price) of the product cost of ground shipping (expedited shipping is a separate non-refundable charge), plus $10.00 processing fee."

Oct 18, 2018

Thats part of why I went back to Amazon. I found that for the RMA information and was wondering where he had gotten $150 from, especially because now the standard Retail cost is $200 (I paid just shy of $180). Regardless, I hope this fixes the issue. If not, it just narrows down the problem to the CPU, which, while I have the money to replace, I would just rather not.

TRENDING THREADS