Question New PC Build will not enter BIOS. Fast boot to Windows 10 works.

Jul 7, 2020
I just built my first PC for gaming, and am having a weird issue where the system will not post to BIOS. Originally I would need to restart the build several times for the “no signal” to go away for initial BIOS setup. Once installing windows, fast boot works every time after one restart. No keys allow me to go to BIOS, and advanced restart from Windows 10 does not work, I continue to get “No Signal”. When in windows everything works as it should, I want to be able to get into BIOS to be able to update version and OC ram to correct speed of 3600. I have looked and not seen the exact issue I am having. Parts are below. Any help is appreciated!

Ryzen 5 3600
TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi
GSkill Ripjaws 2x8GB 3600
MSI Gaming X 2070 Super
Inland professional 1TB M.2
EVGA 650w GQ
Acer CB281HK monitor.

Jul 7, 2020
I’ve reseated both the GPU and CPU, removed Ram as well as tried just one stick of Ram. I have also unplugged all power and held power button to drain voltage from the mb. Monitor and HDMI cord work fine with my xbox one x.
When system gets to windows, again everything works fine. I am able to play games with 98-99% GPU usage at 65c.

I’ve reseated both the GPU and CPU, removed Ram as well as tried just one stick of Ram. I have also unplugged all power and held power button to drain voltage from the mb. Monitor and HDMI cord work fine with my xbox one x.
When system gets to windows, again everything works fine. I am able to play games with 98-99% GPU usage at 65c.
Did you try to reset CMOS, fast boot should be disabled by default.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
This is going to sound stupid, but . . . have you tried a different monitor with a different native resolution?

I have this one older system that I've put together, and it will boot and allow me to use the BIOS on my main monitor (38" Acer with 3840x1600 native), but on my son's 34" LG 34UC79G-B (2560x1080 native) it will boot to windows with no problem, but can't display the POST or BIOS screens.

The computer in question is an old Dell Inspiron 3647 Small Desktop with a Pentium G3220 (Haswell), and an AMD R7 250E GPU (Sapphire R7 250 Low Profile, but, despite the slightly confusing name, it's actually a 250E).

If I remove the GPU and run off the integrated graphics, I can see the POST screen and get into the BIOS on my son's LG monitor, but it keeps flashing an "out of range" message while successfully displaying the BIOS screen. I have no idea what that's all about.

In any case, it's only that strange combination of video card and specific monitor that causes the problem similar to what you're seeing. I suspect that the GPU is attempting to display some kind of video mode during POST that the monitor doesn't like. It's possible that you're having the same problem, but I admit it's a long-shot.

Jul 7, 2020
This is going to sound stupid, but . . . have you tried a different monitor with a different native resolution?

I have this one older system that I've put together, and it will boot and allow me to use the BIOS on my main monitor (38" Acer with 3840x1600 native), but on my son's 34" LG 34UC79G-B (2560x1080 native) it will boot to windows with no problem, but can't display the POST or BIOS screens.

The computer in question is an old Dell Inspiron 3647 Small Desktop with a Pentium G3220 (Haswell), and an AMD R7 250E GPU (Sapphire R7 250 Low Profile, but, despite the slightly confusing name, it's actually a 250E).

If I remove the GPU and run off the integrated graphics, I can see the POST screen and get into the BIOS on my son's LG monitor, but it keeps flashing an "out of range" message while successfully displaying the BIOS screen. I have no idea what that's all about.

In any case, it's only that strange combination of video card and specific monitor that causes the problem similar to what you're seeing. I suspect that the GPU is attempting to display some kind of video mode during POST that the monitor doesn't like. It's possible that you're having the same problem, but I admit it's a long-shot.
I do not have another monitor to try at this moment but I am looking into getting a new one as this can only handle 60fps and I am looking to play at least 144fps. I have a feeling it may be the monitor, because when the pc is initially turning on, the monitor wakes up- but it goes through all input options before going to no signal. My cpu does not do integrated graphics so when I plug into the mb hdmi the mb will not post.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I do not have another monitor to try at this moment but I am looking into getting a new one as this can only handle 60fps and I am looking to play at least 144fps. I have a feeling it may be the monitor, because when the pc is initially turning on, the monitor wakes up- but it goes through all input options before going to no signal. My cpu does not do integrated graphics so when I plug into the mb hdmi the mb will not post.

That makes sense - the Pentium G3220 has integrated graphics, the R5 3600 does not.

The behavior you describe is the same as what I saw as well: the monitor was aware that something was there and wakes up, then says there's no signal and goes back to standby mode.

I hope the new monitor does the trick, but I am not 100% certain that the cause of your issue is the same as the cause of mine.

Jul 7, 2020
Resetting CMOS did not do anything. Afterwards my pc wouldn’t even boot to windows, I had to use the reset button on the case 7-8 times while unplugging and plugging back in the HDMI for it to allow me to press f2 to enter BIOS, yes! But wait, I couldn’t not save anything: I tried updating the bios version and once clicking, it reset and the system fast booted back to windows. Any ideas with this info?

Jul 7, 2020
UPDATE: Not exactly sure what fixed it but last thing I did was reset CMOS which didn’t fix it right away weirdly.
i honestly think the issue was the UEFI was not showing in boot options before and now it is? So far I have used the restart button on case and advanced settings from windows 10 and both getting me to startup BIOS screen before windows. Thanks for the help! I’ll let you know if it’s fixed for good ;)

Reactions: King_V