Dec 31, 2017
Hello,

I recently built a new pc with the following parts -

Mobo- ASRock AB350M Pro4
CPU- Ryzen 1600x
GPU- EVGA GTX 980Ti
PSU- Corsair CX750
Cooling- Coolermaster master liquid 240
RAM- Ballistix Sport DDR4 16GB (4 sticks)
SSD- Samsung 500GB

After putting the system together, I go plug in the psu and press the power button, and nothing.

I have built systems before, no issue.

I have checked the 24 pin, 8 pin, ram, multiple psu, graphics card, coolers, reseating the processor, jumping the power switch, switching the ram slots, checked the case standoffs, and the cpu fan.

PLEASE DO NOT LINK THIS -

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

BECAUSE I HAVE CHECKED EVERYTHING ON THERE MULTIPLE TIMES

Thank you all for any help you can give.

pull the evga video card there been known issue of them pulling more power then a standard pci slot can give. there also warning of these cards gong up in flames. if the mb wont turn on check to see if there a dead short. see that the standoffs are in the right places and the io shield is not shorting out the mb. if there no post. pull the mb and use one dimm see if it power s on.

Since you have "CHECKED EVERYTHING", What were the results of EACH individual step? We need the RESULTS in order to eliminate possible problems and common errors, in order to give you a reasoned diagnosis. Help us to help you!

jrnekos24

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017

Sorry about those caps, I am just getting a little annoyed with this build haha. After everything I do to check, I still get nothing. I am starting to think the mobo itself is doa because i have not been able to get any power to go through the system. I took it out of the case and tested it as well and still nothing. Doesn't that seem a little strange?

I still would like to see the results. Without data, I can only guess at the cause(s) of the problems.

jrnekos24

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017

What do you mean by "results". Anytime I change anything or test something, I hear no sounds, no fans, no lights, no anything, its almost like its not plugged in at all (obviously it is...)

The steps in the list are simple yes/no questions. The results are the answers to the questions, in order, with no step left out.

jrnekos24

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017

Reading through this list, here are all of my results to each step.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. Yes
7. Yes
8. Yes and we tested different configurations for the ram
9. Yes.....
10. Yes
11. No
12. No
13. Yes
14. N/A (Aftermarket cooler)
15. No
16. Yes
17. No, but lets work on getting some power first...
18. Yes, checked them multiple times
19. Yes
20. Yes
21. Yes
22. N/A still no power..
23. Yes, we also tested the build outside of a case and still nothing. It seems unlikely that the PSU is the issue because we tested 3 different PSUs and still nothing.

My friend has the exact same motherboard and is having the same problem with completely different parts. We also tested his build with different PSUs, ram, graphic cards and its the exact same situation as me, no power going to anything. No fans spinning, no leds, no sounds. This leads me to believe it must be the PSUs or the MOBO.

Thanks for sticking with me through this.

The list assumes that there is nothing wrong with the hardware. If you have gone through the list, the end result should be a fully functioning PC. Since that is not the case here, There has to be some non-functional hardware somewhere.

Just out of curiousity, Is your PSU plugged directly into a wall outlet or a surge suppressor/power strip/UPS?
If a wall outlet, can you verify that the outlet is, indeed, hot? Will a lamp work when plugged into the outlet?
If a surge suppressor/power strip/UPS, can you do the lamp test to verify that it is supplying power to the PSU? Does the power strip have a reset button/on/off switch? I am assuming that when you tested multiple PSUs, you used the same wall outlet/power strip/UPS. If NONE of the PSUs powered up, that leads me to question the outlets etc.

jrnekos24

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017

The PSUs are plugged directly into the wall. When testing, we checked to make sure the outlet works, and all of the ones we used to test work fine. We tested them by charging a phone in them and they all work. We tested 3 different outlets when trying each PSU, so the outlets are ruled out, and I doubt multiple PSUs just so happen to be dead at the same time.. We also tested the stock Ryzen cooler just to rule that out. Everything seems to be leading down to 2 bad mobo which really does not make sense. And yes we took electrostatic precautions when building both systems. Any other ideas on things to test/try?

Ok, we've eliminated the outlets, and PSUs. At this point, the next thing to change is the motherboard:(
Did you get both motherboards from the same vendor? Was there anything with the packaging that would lead you to believe that you were not the first to get those particular motherboards,or that they were returned, like missing parts, torn plastic packing bags, multiple sealing tape, etc?

jrnekos24

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017

We got them both from Newegg in what seemed to be the original packaging. No torn anything, no missing parts, they both seemed brand new. To return them would we go through Newegg or ASRock?

I would start with Newegg. If no joy with that then try Asrock.

jrnekos24

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017

Alright let me get to that and then ill report back. Thank you.

jrnekos24

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
Hey guys, after getting a new motherboard, getting pissed off with thermal paste and rebuilding the PC, it works great now. My friend did the same and his worked as well. As of 1/26/18 @12:33pm EST, my PC is working but his is not anymore. He told me the following -
“I was playing a game and the computer crashed and now when I turn it on I get no signal on the monitor”. After talking to him and squeezing info out of him, the lights on the mobo work, the fans on the case work, and the fan on the graphics card turns on when he first turns on the PC. Any ideas of what’s to do for this issue? Thanks guys, appreciate all the help!

jrnekos24

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017

We are going to test a second graphics card really quick, get back to you soon.

jrnekos24

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
Okay is there anything else we should test here? We still have to test the graphics card but we would like to test anything else before doing that as we don’t have a spare card laying around.