[SOLVED] New PC Build with Interesting Post Light Startup

Sep 4, 2019
First forum post here, so I apologize if my question is out of compliance or in the wrong section of the forums. But, if anyone is able to help here, it would be greatly appreciated.

Long story short, I’ve just completed my first PC build with the help of a few friends, and we’re noticing something interesting on start-up. When we power the tower, the motherboard post lights enter a bizarre pattern:
(1) DRAM and CPU Lights are on and fan RPM ramps up
(2) DRAM and CPU Lights go off and VGA Light comes on.
(3) Boot Light comes on also with the VGA Light.
(4) All lights go off, fans slow down, and display/peripherals turn on

All of this happens in the course of around 7-10 seconds, but the unit always comes on. I can get into BIOS, run Windows, everything I’m wanting, but the concern is that this is obviously not normal behavior.

Motherboard:
Phantom Gaming 4 x570

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Graphics Card:
2080 Super

RAM:
32 GB (16x2) DDR4

Power Supply:
Corsair RM 650X

If there’s anything else I need to provide or can add, please let me know. I haven’t seen anything like this on the forums; usually post lights on the motherboard prevent the unit from even getting into BIOS or show a display.

Solution
That is normal behavior.

Post Status Checker (PSC) diagnoses the computer when users power on the machine. It emits a red light to indicate whether the CPU, memory, VGA or storage is dysfunctional. The lights go off if the four mentioned above are functioning normally.
That is normal behavior.

Post Status Checker (PSC) diagnoses the computer when users power on the machine. It emits a red light to indicate whether the CPU, memory, VGA or storage is dysfunctional. The lights go off if the four mentioned above are functioning normally.

Solution
Sep 4, 2019
That is normal behavior.

Oh, well that’s great to know! I wondered if that might be the case as the same sequence occurred on every startup (so some kind of diagnostic seemed possible), and that also makes sense as we weren’t able to see any kind of posts online indicated this is an error. My buddies that helped build this (and are a lot more knowledgeable than myself) didn’t think we should be seeing any kind of lights on the motherboard whatsoever.