New pc build with windows 7 problems

ddparker132000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
Hello,
I just built my first pc and installed windows 7 64bit on it, but I'm having random 5 second lags in windows. It doesn't seem to happen when playing games. I had an alienware laptop and got the free windows 7 ultimate upgrade disk with it and that's what I used for my new pc. Would using the upgrade version be causing problems or is there something else that I'm doing wrong. Thanks for your help.

Specs:
Intel Core i7-2600K
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 910W High Performance 80PLUS Silver SLI CrossFire ready Power Supply
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi)1GB
SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Combo SATA Model SH-B123L/RSBP
Seagate Barracuda St320005N1A1AS-RK 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

The problem is the hard drive, it's too big.
2TB drives are very slow. When you put the OS on this size drive, expect long delays.

You should have a small, very fast drive dedicated to the OS only. This drive will hold programs (like office, word, etc...) but NONE of your personal files.
Recommended: Velociraptor 70GB 2-1/2" SATA 10.000 RPM drive. Can be bought for about $75 on e bay. Manufactured by Western Digital for Dell computers.

Set the bios to boot the small drive, with the OS first. Boot the 2 TB drive last.

If you do this as I recommend, your system will be amazingly faster, and the lag should disappear.

Remember, Files and OS NOT on the same drive.

The 2 TB drive will be your files only. The OS and applications are not installed on the large drive.