[SOLVED] New pc build won’t post first time

Nov 22, 2020
New pc build won’t post first time :(

My specs:
i7-9700k
16GB 3200hz ram
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F gaming motherboard
GeForce 2060 super
500gb M.2 NVME SSD (still waiting to arrive)
2tb HDD (still waiting to arrive)
650 watt psu non modular

I’ve recently built this pc but it wouldn’t post for the first time and it shows as no signal on my TV (waiting for a new monitor) everything is turned on like rgb, fans and gpu etc. The vga led light is turned on in my mobo so I checked the ASUS website to try troubleshoot it. I’ve tried:

• Switching between the mobo and gpu hdmi inputs.
  • Moving the ram sticks and trying on different channels and I even tried to just use 1 ram stick.
  • I removed the gpu and still has the same problem.
  • I removed the cpu and reinstalled
  • Pressing the delete key on the keyboard to try open the bios upon powering on

I’m not sure what else to do as I’ve checked YouTube videos and they all say the same thing and quick google searches also suggest the same things I’ve already done.

Solution

My specs:
i7-9700k
16GB 3200hz ram
GeForce 2060 super
650 watt psu non modular

I’ve recently built this pc but it wouldn’t post for the first time and it shows as no signal on my TV (waiting for a new monitor) everything is turned on like rgb, fans and gpu etc. The vga led light is turned on in my mobo so I checked the ASUS website to try troubleshoot it. I’ve tried:

• Moving the ram sticks and trying on different channels and I even tried to just use 1 ram stick.
  • I removed the gpu and still has the same problem...

My specs:
i7-9700k
16GB 3200hz ram
GeForce 2060 super
650 watt psu non modular

• I removed the gpu and still has the same problem.
  • I removed the cpu and reinstalled
  • Pressing the delete key on the keyboard to try open the bios upon powering on
I’m not sure what else to do as I’ve checked YouTube videos and they all say the same thing and quick google searches also suggest the same things I’ve already done.

Having a look at the website for that motherboard, it appears that your board requires an updated bios in order to support the i7 9700K... here is a link the the cpu support page:

The 9700K is only supported with bios version 1005 (or newer), it's possible if your board has been on the shelf a while it may not have that version installed. If that is the problem you may be a bit stuck - you would need an older 8000 series cpu in order to get the board to start up and update the bios.

Solution
Nov 22, 2020
Having a look at the website for that motherboard, it appears that your board requires an updated bios in order to support the i7 9700K... here is a link the the cpu support page:

The 9700K is only supported with bios version 1005 (or newer), it's possible if your board has been on the shelf a while it may not have that version installed. If that is the problem you may be a bit stuck - you would need an older 8000 series cpu in order to get the board to start up and update the bios.
Would an i5-9600k be suitable?

Last edited by a moderator:
Would an i5-9600k be suitable?

That would have the same problem, as will any 9000 processor as the series came out after the motherboard. To be certain the board has bios support you would need an 8000 series cpu that is supported on the oldest bios version to be sure... if you take a look at the cpu support list in the link I provided it lists the bios version required next to each processor - all the 8000 cpu's will work with bios version 0224 (which appears to be the oldest), whilst the newer 9000 series cpu's need one of the newer versions to work. The i7 8700K would be a good alternative to the 9700K, as whilst it has less cores it does have hyperthreading so the two processors end up being roughly the same performance wise.

Out of interest, you have connected everything correctly to the main board? As well as the ATX connector you also need to make sure the cpu power is connected to the main board, the board won't be able to start up without that...