[SOLVED] New pc build won't boot but fans turn on and off in a loop?

Apr 21, 2022
I recently built my first ever pc , when I went to turn it on , I flipped the PSU switch and all the fans turned on (case fans,PSU fan,GPU fan,CPU cooler) for a few seconds then turned off and kept doing this in a loop . The PSU also makes a clicking sound whenever the fans turn on again . I suspect it's a ram problem because if I take out both ram sticks the fans stay on instead of looping but the pc still doesn't boot (because there is no ram) . I have 2 ram slots and tested each one with each ram stick , still the same issue . Does anybody have any insight into this issue . Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu
PSU : Corsair cx550 modular 550w
CPU: Intel i5 3570
GPU : gtx 960
Motherboard : I'm not sure exactly what it is but it's a Dell optiplex 390s motherboard with LGA 1155 socket and ddr3 ram slots
Ram: gigastone 2x8gb ddr3
SSD : Integral v series 120gb SSD

logainofhades

Titan
You managed to put a Dell motherboard into a standard ATX case? Usually that is not possible, as Dell makes everything proprietary. A second gen chip would be less hassle regardless. No need to reinstall windows. 3rd gen really isn't much different, vs 2nd gen, performance wise.

Apr 21, 2022
You managed to put a Dell motherboard into a standard ATX case? Usually that is not possible, as Dell makes everything proprietary. A second gen chip would be less hassle regardless. No need to reinstall windows. 3rd gen really isn't much different, vs 2nd gen, performance wise.
I didn't have any problems putting in the motherboard , although I had trouble with the pwrsw slot which was 5 pin but I got it working . Anyways thanks for the heads up .

Apr 21, 2022

ASK THE COMMUNITY