"New" PC build won't post

BasedGooseY

Prominent
Apr 5, 2017
Stopped by Micro Center to pick out some parts to upgrade my PC:

New Parts:
i5-8600k
ASUS ROG z370-hgaming (was on clearance because it was returned; was supposedly inspected before being put on the shelf)
2x 8gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 RAM
Crucial SSD 525gb

Parts kept from old build:
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
WD 1tb HDD (has OS on it)
750W psu

I've built multiple PCs before so I'm fairly certain that I put it everything together properly (everything wired correctly). When I hit the power button, the computer boots but does not post whatsoever. No beeps on start-up. All fans spinning, LEDs on motherboard light up, no power-cycling at all. I've tried leaving it on for a while (10-15 min) to see if it was simply a long first boot. I've tried both connecting to the display through the GPU and integrated graphics. I've tried disconnecting the drives. Still the system does not post to the monitor

Solution
Hi BasedGooseY :)

If the OS on your HDD is from your old build, then this is probably your issue.
Chances of it even posting are slim and I would recommend a clean instal of the OS and that way correct drivers are installed.
It's not a 100% fix as there could be something else.
Backup your Important files on the HDD if you decide to format for a fresh instal.

You might also want to consider an SSD for much faster Boot times and also update to Windows 10 if not already done so.
I'd try a few things

First off, 'breadboard' it. Take the motherboard out of the case, and sit it on the motherboard box, or something non-static. Use just ONE stick of ram, No GPU, integrated graphics to the monitor, no storage drives, and see if it'll go to bios. If it doesn't, especially since it's a used board, I'd reset CMOS by shorting the two pins on the board (see user manual to find the clear_cmos pins and follow the instructions).

Let us know how you fair. Good luck!

Hi BasedGooseY :)

If the OS on your HDD is from your old build, then this is probably your issue.
Chances of it even posting are slim and I would recommend a clean instal of the OS and that way correct drivers are installed.
It's not a 100% fix as there could be something else.
Backup your Important files on the HDD if you decide to format for a fresh instal.

You might also want to consider an SSD for much faster Boot times and also update to Windows 10 if not already done so.

Solution

enjoiskaterguy

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
What frequency is your ram rated for? What is the max frequency your MB is rated for?

Is your bios defaults set?

Do you have any of USB devices plugged in other than a keyboard? (If so, unplug them all, then turn PC back on)