Jan 9, 2019
Hi,
So I have built a new PC. I will list the specs:
Intel Core i3 8100
Gigabyte z370p d3
1TB HDD
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2X4GB
Corsair VS550
The computer doesn't have an SSD or Graphics card.

So my RAM, the last part, arrived today and of course I was very excited because who doesn't get excited when they've completed their new PC. Anyway, when I tried to power it on, nothing happened. I have an RGB fan and I saw it flash for a moment but that's all. I thought it was the PSU, so I tried my brother's 600W PSU. Nothing changed. I decided to reseat the CPU, and to make matters worse, the stock Intel cooler wouldn't go back in. I know the stock Intel cooler can be bad. I noticed that the plastic push things were bent at the ends and were nearly broken off. I'm starting to think maybe the motherboard is dead or something. The thing is, I powered it on a few days ago with my brother's RAM in it(as my ram hadn't arrived yet) and everything worked fine. It booted into LInux Mint which I had installed on using my other computer. I used the Corsair VS550 from my older Dell computer(OEM PSU died) when I frst booted it up. I noticed that the day before, my Dell PC wouldn't power on ,so I think the VS550 is dead even though it's still in its 3 year guarantee.

Any help is appreciated.

Someone edited my post. Anyway, I think it is the motherboard and I am going to get it replaced. My brother tried it as well and he agreed. I used different PSUs and RAM and it still didn't work so it's likely the MotherBoard.

Last edited:
Solution
Only way to see if it killed something in ur pc or not, buy a new one and put the bare minimum in the computer, cpu 1 ram stick and cpu cooler and gpu and start testing.
anytime.

g-unit1111

Titan
If you reseated your CPU cooler and it didn't get connected properly, it's quite possible that something could be bent / broken in your motherboard's CPU socket and that could have prevented everything from functioning properly. I would suggest stripping everything first and check for anything bent or broken that could keep your rig from powering on.

Jan 9, 2019
I checked it and it appeared to be fine. I noticed that the push thingson the Intel cooler were bent at the end. I might link some pictures later.

Apparently a word was removed from my post.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well the vs series power supply is not the greatest in terms of quality.
Could you try the paper clip test on your power supply outside the case? and see if it will work.
If not then your power supply might be failing or something.
Also adding extra pressure on the CPU can sometimes lead to no POST.

Jan 9, 2019
Well the vs series power supply is not the greatest in terms of quality.
Could you try the paper clip test on your power supply outside the case? and see if it will work.
If not then your power supply might be failing or something.
Also adding extra pressure on the CPU can sometimes lead to no POST.

My paperclips have disappeared :(

Jan 9, 2019
You should do the test, to make sure that your power supply is not fault or dying.
I am starting to think it's dead, because it was in my old pc and it wouldn't work there either. I am also thinking maybe it killed something in my new pc because it wouldn't power on even with my brother's power supply. I still can't find my paper clips . Thanks for your help

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Only way to see if it killed something in ur pc or not, buy a new one and put the bare minimum in the computer, cpu 1 ram stick and cpu cooler and gpu and start testing.
anytime.

Solution

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
That shouldn't effect in anything, unless if while putting the stock cooler in place you damaged the board somehow or erased a trace on the motherboard by mistake, which could lead to your motherboard dead.

Jan 9, 2019
That shouldn't effect in anything, unless if while putting the stock cooler in place you damaged the board somehow or erased a trace on the motherboard by mistake, which could lead to your motherboard dead.
I managed to fix the cooler by bending the plastic bits back in place. Again, thnks for your reply.