[SOLVED] New Pc build won't start up!

Jul 4, 2020
Hi Guys
So I just built a brand new pc (this is my first time so I don't have that much experience in building a PC) and I'm running into some problems starting it up.

I find that every time I start up the computer meaning I turn the switch on the Power Unit my motherboard lights up (also my mouse but only for a couple of milliseconds) but nothing else turns on. When I press the on button on the case nothing happens and when I turn on the motherboard through the onboard on-switch nothing happens either.

I have asked some of my friends who are a bit more experienced in this area and most of them said the motherboard is broken and I should return it to the retailer. Now I just wanted to ask once again here if anyone has some ideas of what I could be doing wrong or if it is in fact the motherboard. Thanks in advance for all the answers :)

Solution
I turn the switch on the Power Unit my motherboard lights up (also my mouse but only for a couple of milliseconds) but nothing else turns on. When I press the on button on the case nothing happens and when I turn on the motherboard through the onboard on-switch nothing happens either.
Sounds like something is not connected properly or shorting out. Assemble your system outside pc case and go through this checklist.

Jul 4, 2020
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

Sure it's:
Mobo: ASUS X570-PRO (AM4, AMD X570, ATX)
PSU: Corsair RM850x 2018 (850W)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (AM4, 3.70GHz, 8-Core)
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB (2x, 16GB, DDR4-3200, DIMM 288)
Case: NZXT H510 Elite
GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 5700

I turn the switch on the Power Unit my motherboard lights up (also my mouse but only for a couple of milliseconds) but nothing else turns on. When I press the on button on the case nothing happens and when I turn on the motherboard through the onboard on-switch nothing happens either.
Sounds like something is not connected properly or shorting out. Assemble your system outside pc case and go through this checklist.

Reactions: ThePlexxer
Solution
Jul 4, 2020

Ok thanks that actually helps a lot. Which part do you think would be the most likely to cause this short out?

lingarajug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Does the Mobo have debug led and what code does it display if any, I recently had this problem due to a damaged sata cable and I would hear an electrical pop and PC would shut off and after several attempts I figured it was the sata cable by locating the pop sound and it fixed the problem, if the Mobo is not seated correctly on stand off it could cause this short or any faulty connections or stripped wires can also cause the issue, always assemble Mobo and all parts outside case and then test and then build it inside case.

Jul 4, 2020
Does the Mobo have debug led and what code does it display if any, I recently had this problem due to a damaged sata cable and I would hear an electrical pop and PC would shut off and after several attempts I figured it was the sata cable by locating the pop sound and it fixed the problem, if the Mobo is not seated correctly on stand off it could cause this short or any faulty connections or stripped wires can also cause the issue, always assemble Mobo and all parts outside case and then test and then build it inside case.

There are some indication LED's for trouble shooting (if that is what you mean) and none of them light up which should mean that all the components are connected but what I find very weird is that after I turn on the PSU through the switch on it the motherboard RGB lights up but no fans or anything. Then I press either the start button in the case or the start button on the motherboard and I hear a sound that to me sounds like a short out but the motherboard RGB's still stay on. Nothing else turns itself on (no fans etc.). After that there's no klick anymore if I click the startbuttons.

Edit: Also there are no diagnosis sounds from the motherboard or anything.

Worth trying to reboot with just one stick of RAM and trying the RAM in the other slots. Reset the BIOS, make sure the CPU power cables are in properly and double check the GPU power cable and that the GPU is seated properly....Apologies in advance if you have done all of this...

lingarajug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
On some boards that I have noticed rgb stay on due to power in capacitors present, that sound is definitely a short, problem though is that I have to unplug PSU and drain power from all capacitors by pressing start several times and repeat until I can locate where that noise is coming from at least that's how I found my damaged sata cable making that pop sound and PC won't turn on.