Question New PC build won't turn on, not sure why. Please help!

gamerred101

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016
Hey all, so my new PC build I'm working on won't power on and I have no idea why. First, specs:

Mobo: Asus rog strix b450i

CPU: R5 3600x

GPU: msi gtx 980 (from old PC)

SSD: Intel 660p 1tb

Ram: Trident z RGB 3600 MHz

Psu: Corsair sf600

Plus random fans and air cooler.

So this is my third PC I've built so I don't think I'm making some stupid newbie mistake. What I know:

Motherboard, ram, SSD, and power supply works, uses my friend's 2200g to power the rig on and update bios to support ryzen 3rd gen

The CPU is probably not dead. The first one I ordered the PC wouldn't turn on either, so I sent it back to Amazon and got a replacement. Doubtful I got two DOA in a row

Graphics card worked fine in my old PC, never had any hiccups.

With the 3600x, the motherboard RGB lights are doing their thing, so it's getting power.

Completely lost on what to do. All cables are plugged into the motherboard and GPU. Power supply is obviously turned on. I can't even short the pins to turn the PC on.

StarCry

Honorable
Dec 29, 2015
With my previous motherboard (also ASUS) I would occasionally have problems booting and every time it would be RAM related. Reseating the RAM may help or swapping their positions. Another fix that worked was trying each DIMM on it's own in either slot and sometimes I could boot into BIOS, from there enabling/disabling XMP has got me to boot with two afterwards.

That board was also kinda temperamental with how tight the CPU cooler was, so could be worth checking. Hope one of these fixes can help you!

Jan 29, 2020
Hey all, so my new PC build I'm working on won't power on and I have no idea why. First, specs:

Mobo: Asus rog strix b450i

CPU: R5 3600x

GPU: msi gtx 980 (from old PC)

SSD: Intel 660p 1tb

Ram: Trident z RGB 3600 MHz

Psu: Corsair sf600

Plus random fans and air cooler.

So this is my third PC I've built so I don't think I'm making some stupid newbie mistake. What I know:

Motherboard, ram, SSD, and power supply works, uses my friend's 2200g to power the rig on and update bios to support ryzen 3rd gen

The CPU is probably not dead. The first one I ordered the PC wouldn't turn on either, so I sent it back to Amazon and got a replacement. Doubtful I got two DOA in a row

Graphics card worked fine in my old PC, never had any hiccups.

With the 3600x, the motherboard RGB lights are doing their thing, so it's getting power.

Completely lost on what to do. All cables are plugged into the motherboard and GPU. Power supply is obviously turned on. I can't even short the pins to turn the PC on.
This probably wont help since youve built a few pcs but double check the positive and negatives on the front panel headers

gamerred101

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016
With my previous motherboard (also ASUS) I would occasionally have problems booting and every time it would be RAM related. Reseating the RAM may help or swapping their positions. Another fix that worked was trying each DIMM on it's own in either slot and sometimes I could boot into BIOS, from there enabling/disabling XMP has got me to boot with two afterwards.

That board was also kinda temperamental with how tight the CPU cooler was, so could be worth checking. Hope one of these fixes can help you!
Tried switching the RAM around and using either or one at a time. No progress