Build Advice New PC Build Z490 with i9-108500

SteelMage

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Building a new PC. Current system is 10 years old. I will be reusing my existing COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower case, existing CD Drives and existing WD Caviar Hard drives as addition storage space.
I waffled a lot on whether to go with the Z390 or Z490 Builds but I think I've finally landed on going with the Z490 to future proof the build a little if nothing else. I'm also unsure about what solid state drive to go with, I've picked the Samsung 860 EVO 1tb but I really know nothing about the M2 type storage devices or if I should go with something other than the Samsung EVO. Please let me know how wisely I have chosen or some better options. Pretty much anything will be a step up from where I am now.
I apologize if this doesn't match the Stylized format as I'm not sure I understood what was being asked for or how to doing right.

Current System:
CPU:
i7-930
MOB: ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58
RAM: 16 Gig ( 2x8 )
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 02G-P4-2957-KR 2GB SSC
IOS: Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit

Approximate Purchase Date: In 2 to 3 Weeks from now
Budget Range: $2500.00 to $3000.00
System Usage from Most to Least Important: PC Gaming (mostly RPG Style. not a big FPS fan), light Video editing, General internet and email use.
Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade:
New System:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M8ZP27

CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K Comet Lake 10-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 1200

CPU Cooler: NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type Premium ( I knows it's huge but I prefer Air Cooling)

MOB: ASUS PRIME Z490-A LGA 1200

RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model BL2K16G36C16U4BL

Video Card: NVIDIA - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Black/Silver 9001G1802540000

Power Supply: CORSAIR RMx Series RM850x CP-9020180-NA 850W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS

Hard drive: SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 1TB SATA III V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-76E1T0B/AM
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit - OEM

Thanks.

SteelMage

Everything is fine with the only exception being the Graphics card. If you live in the US or Europe, DO NOT GET ANY RTX 2000 series. Nvidia is literally about to release their next gen cards in a month and their 3070 is stated to be just as good as the 2080 Ti at only 500$. Other countries outside the US and Europe may have a hard time getting one since the initial stock supply on release will be pretty low relatively.

And then there's Big navi coming very soon as well. I'd recommend getting all the other parts but hold off on the GPU until you see what's available in a months time.

Also the EVO is fine, go with that M2. I'd also recommend getting a secondary SSD or large capacity HDD to store games /video recordings since writing too much on an SSD can kill it faster.

Reactions: SteelMage

SteelMage

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I do live in the U.S. The RTX 3070 uses PCIe 4 and the Asus MOB only has a PCIe 3 slot. They are supposed to be compatible. Have others have not run into trouble with putting a PCIe 4 in a PCIe 3 slot? Just checked and Best Buy has the RTX 3070 on their web site as coming soon and at $499.99. So I think I will hang on util it rolls out. I could actually go with the RTX 3080 and stay at the same price I was going to have to pay for the RTX 2070. Definitely something I will consider. Thanks for the response.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I do live in the U.S. The RTX 3070 uses PCIe 4 and the Asus MOB only has a PCIe 3 slot. They are supposed to be compatible. Have others have not run into trouble with putting a PCIe 4 in a PCIe 3 slot? Just checked and Best Buy has the RTX 3070 on their web site as coming soon and at $499.99. So I think I will hang on util it rolls out. I could actually go with the RTX 3080 and stay at the same price I was going to have to pay for the RTX 2070. Definitely something I will consider. Thanks for the response.

There will be no problem using a PCIe gen 4 GPU in a Gen 3 motherboard Bus. The only problem will be that you will not be utilizing the full potential of the GPU, but not a lot that you will be wasting any money. This would only be the case if you were stressing your card out to the absolute max. Go with the 3070, it will be an overall better experience regardless at the same price of a 2070.

The 10000 series Intel chips are an improvement over the 9000's but I would argue the AMD 3700 or 3800 offer far more value at 1440p. Even the 10600k performs as well as the 10800K at 1440p.

The FPS difference is quite minimal, with just a few FPS difference in most games. At 1440p is it worth the cost of Intel at $475, and this doesn't include the top end cooler you need if trying to overclock.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-10850k/16.html

The 3700x can be had for $290, add a good cpu cooler for another $80-ish.

Is just a few FPS worth the extra cost?

SteelMage

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks for all the responses and advice. I have one more question. Will using the NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type Premium on the ASUS PRIME Z490-A LGA 1200 block the PCIe slot for my graphics card. I am waiting to order a ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 TUF-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING Video Card when the BOTs quit buying them all.

SteelMage

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Well it's done. my new build is complete with the exception of a new video card. I am waiting to get my hands on an NVIDIA RTX-3080. Looking specifically for the Asus TX3080 Strix gaming model. Right now I'm still using my old NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950. In the end I opted for the following in my build.
Partspicker list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/p8c7wz
The build went really well and it posted right off the bat, so that was good. I'm still working out a couple of bugs. One is were when I do a restart the ethernet adapter fails and I have to manually disable and reenable it to get it to see my ethernet cable is connected and access to the internet. It always works fine on a hard boot power up. Updated the adapter drivers and reinstalled them 4 or 5 times with no luck. The second is that occasionally windows screen has momentary lock ups like you see when your in a games intense battle and it's over running the GPU. I suspect but this occurs some times when it just the desktop and nothing else running. I'm hoping this is just the old Graphics card being so under powered for the rest of this new system and that it will clear up once I get my new video cards. Over all the system is very quite and runs cool with my Nactua ND-15 air cooler, CPU idles at 28c and peaked under Cinebench tests at 62c then settles back to around 36c. Over all I'm really happy with the build, performance and how well it all went. The one most annoying part of this has been adjusting to Windows 10 as I had been running Window 7 previous to this build.