[SOLVED] New PC build

dante007

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2014
I have a Asus z97 a
i5 4670k
Sapphire rx 590
8gb ddr3 ram.
I plan to upgrade my pc at the end of this year probably in Q1.I want to build a gaming rig and as far as Iam concerned Ryzen 5 3600/3600x or i5 9600k will do me just fine.But I want your opinion.I have a limited budget.And please suggest me anything for this build.Should i go with ryzen or intel?Only Ram,CPU and RAM,I plan to upgrade.Thank You,

Solution
How limited is your budget? It'll be pretty pricey to build something which is noticeably faster in most games.

Ryzen will get you the most bang for your buck. I'd only consider Intel for a top end system. Where price is no concern and it is being paired with a high end GPU.
How limited is your budget? It'll be pretty pricey to build something which is noticeably faster in most games.

Ryzen will get you the most bang for your buck. I'd only consider Intel for a top end system. Where price is no concern and it is being paired with a high end GPU.

Solution

dante007

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2014

Thanks man. Iam also considering to go for ryzen since it has more cores and threads. But in my country intel is a little cheaper than ryzen and for ryzen 3000 i need x470 motherboard which again is pricier than intel mobos. I don't any high end gaming just for 1080p 60fps.i already have a freesync monitor. I will see if the prices drop later. And also one more thing, is ryzen 2700x a good choice for gaming now? It is on sale here. But in benchmark ryzen 5 3600 is far ahead but 2700x has more cores and threads. So my decision is getting tougher due to this. What would be your suggestion?

Pickachu

Prominent
Apr 15, 2019
Thanks man. Iam also considering to go for ryzen since it has more cores and threads. But in my country intel is a little cheaper than ryzen and for ryzen 3000 i need x470 motherboard which again is pricier than intel mobos. I don't any high end gaming just for 1080p 60fps.i already have a freesync monitor. I will see if the prices drop later. And also one more thing, is ryzen 2700x a good choice for gaming now? It is on sale here. But in benchmark ryzen 5 3600 is far ahead but 2700x has more cores and threads. So my decision is getting tougher due to this. What would be your suggestion?
You dont need x470 mobo. B450 mobo works with ryzen 3000(need to do bios update).
What your budget?
Ryzen 2700x also a good choice. It better on multi threading tasks but in single core pure power the 3600x wins. For games the 3600x better(but maybe in the future we will get a games that need more cores...). In my opinion for now: 3600x+b450 mobo if its for games.
What is the price difference between 2700x and 3600x in your country? If the difference is big and you try to save money, go with 2700x.

Very few games benefit with more than 6 cores. I'd expect the Ryzen 3600 to meet your requirements. By the way when it comes to CPU, resolution is pretty much irrelevant for FPS. A CPU that does 60FPS at 1080p will pretty much do 60 FPS at 4K. It's the GPU which has to work harder.

Have you run MSI Afterburner with OSD enabled (install with Rivatuner)? Just to make sure it isn't your GPU or RAM getting in the way of performance. Some more RAM and overclocking may let you keep your current system another year or two.

You dont need x470 mobo. B450 mobo works with ryzen 3000(need to do bios update).
What your budget?
Ryzen 2700x also a good choice. It better on multi threading tasks but in single core pure power the 3600x wins. For games the 3600x better(but maybe in the future we will get a games that need more cores...). In my opinion for now: 3600x+b450 mobo if its for games.
What is the price difference between 2700x and 3600x in your country? If the difference is big and you try to save money, go with 2700x.

I would add that for BIOS updates. Many of the MSI B450 models support CPU-less and RAM-less BIOS updates. A feature normally only on high end boards. You'd have to check individual boards for the feature as not all have it. But it is a way to get a cheap motherboard you can easily update the BIOS on.

Reactions: Pickachu

dante007

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2014
Very few games benefit with more than 6 cores. I'd expect the Ryzen 3600 to meet your requirements. By the way when it comes to CPU, resolution is pretty much irrelevant for FPS. A CPU that does 60FPS at 1080p will pretty much do 60 FPS at 4K. It's the GPU which has to work harder.

Have you run MSI Afterburner with OSD enabled (install with Rivatuner)? Just to make sure it isn't your GPU or RAM getting in the way of performance. Some more RAM and overclocking may let you keep your current system another year or two.

I would add that for BIOS updates. Many of the MSI B450 models support CPU-less and RAM-less BIOS updates. A feature normally only on high end boards. You'd have to check individual boards for the feature as not all have it. But it is a way to get a cheap motherboard you can easily update the BIOS on.
Hey man thanks.Yeah my pc struggles during cpu intensive games like gta v,rise of tomb raider,Assassin creed,,etc you name it.MSI AB shows 100% utilization on all cores.I have OCed it to 4ghz.And ram at 1600MHz.But still the performance gains are very minor.4c/4t really is outdated.I cant even run shadow of tomb raider at 60fps medium.CPU bottlenecks my gpu.

dante007

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2014
What your budget?
Yup bro but the features of x470 are very nice considering its price.Plus it may be more future proof than b450.And in my country there is no gurantee that b450 mobo will come with updated bios for ryzen 3000.So that is one more issue if Iam to go with ryzen 3000.Here x470 have more chances to come with updated bios in the year later.