bergz22

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Hello, I am getting ready to build my first gaming pc. Budget is around $1000 and I would like to be able to upgrade it for years to come. I am thinking of going with an AMD processor, and also want to get good reputable parts. I also want to hook this up to a 22 inch led tv. This pc will mostly be used for gaming, with some internet browsing, music and media, along with some light word processing. I already have a mouse, keyboard ect. from the old pc. Thanks for any help.

bergz22

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: Start buying parts within the next week

Budget Range: around $1000 after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, word processing, internet, videos, music

Parts Not Required: Monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, or any site that has the best prices

Country of Origin: Usa

Parts Preferences: Not sure, have had good luck with AMD, also like their cheaper prices.

Overclocking: yes

SLI or Crossfire: either, whichever is better

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels

Additional Comments: Want a good gaming PC, something I can play all the new games on, with good graphics and detail. Also would like it to be easily upgradable in the future. Also, was talking to a computer programmer last night and he commented that today it is cheaper to buy a computer than build one. It used to be the other way around but not anymore. Any comments?

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Purchasing a low end computer pre-built is definitely cheaper. If you want a high end computer that overclocks, is upgradeable, and plays games really well, then building your own machine is the way to go. Your budget is in-between.

I_Cant_See_It

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
For CPU the Phenom II 965 Black Edition or the 2 new x6 AMDs are good for your budget. DDR3 1333 or 1600, 4GB or above would be good. Corsair and G skill are typically good for RAM.

For graphics you have many choices. I don't know about Nvidia, but for ATI a 4850 would be the minimum for what you want to do, but a 5000 series would be a good decision. 2 5770s can run anything today, though you may want to go with a 5850 or so and leave room to add another later.

Motherboards aren't too hard, just make sure it has all the ports, slots, etc that you need, and that it's compatible with your CPU and RAM. That info can be found on either the board or CPU/ram manufacturer's websites.

Other stuff doesn't matter much, just need a DVD drive, HDD (maybe get a SSD for OS and common programs), Case (Antec is good, 300 model is great), and any other accessories you may want. Good luck!

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Here are some specifics. All prices include shipping and rebates.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Case: Antec 902
combo CPU and Case for $256.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3
Combo including mobo and WIN7 64 bit OS OEM for $204 after rebate.

RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB 1600 1.35v For $80 after rebate.

Graphics Card: MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 for $215 after rebate

Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Power Supply: Corsair TX 650 Watt
Combo PSU and HDD for $121 after rebate

Heat Sink: Scythe SCMG-2100 for $40

DVD Burner: LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R for $20

Total $936 The prices here are very good because of several combinations and rebates. Your computer programmer friend would have a hard time matching it with a prebuilt.

If he were to find a model with similar CPU/memory, its parts would tend to be cheaper. For example, a bought computer would quite likely have an Antec 300 case. This build includes and Antec 902. Also, the power supply is highly rated, the hard drive is very fast, cool and quiet and the DVD is 24X instead of 22X or slower.

A bought computer would probably not have a heatsink, 1600 speed memory at 1.35 volts or as nice of a motherboard. The CPU is a Black Edition, which means it is unlocked. This rig is built for overclocking.

One last note: If this were my purchase, I would add a small 60 or 64 GB Solid state drive for $150 or less. It is not included here because that would push the budget to almost $1100.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your search.