[SOLVED] New PC builder, PSU is working but PC shows no signs of power

Aug 13, 2019
Just the title. I was working on upgrading a Dell Inspiron 3847 my dad never used, accidentally got the wrong size graphics card and just moved everything to a new tower. I plug my PC in and try powering it on but get no dice. The PSU is working, (I took it out and tested it) and the 24-pin connector is fitted snugly. I tried the old power supply as well and get no result. I am not at all sure what could be wrong. My parts didn't all come in at once, and I was away for several weeks before resuming the build. Could my motherboard be the problem?

Solution
Dell's usually have proprietary motherboards that fit jus to their cases. you need to look under the motherboard for standoffs in the wrong places shorting out the board .

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
You mention two power supplies.

If they have modular cables....
And if you have used the modular cables from the OLD psu on the NEW psu...or vice versa....

Well....using cables from one psu on another psu could destroy everything in your system. Not necessarily, but could.

So in that sense your motherboard could be the problem and so could anything else.

Greg N

Aug 13, 2019
You mention two power supplies.

If they have modular cables....
And if you have used the modular cables from the OLD psu on the NEW psu...or vice versa....

Well....using cables from one psu on another psu could destroy everything in your system. Not necessarily, but could.

So in that sense your motherboard could be the problem and so could anything else.

Greg N
I switched out both PSUs to try and see if anything worked. Both the old PSU and new PSU worked(my computer turned on) before I moved the motherboard to the new tower.