[SOLVED] New PC built for a friend. BSODing ir1l not less or equal

Jonny Sparta

Honorable
Apr 24, 2016
Things are pretty vanilla on his system right now.

Installed win10 off the ISO from microsoft, used driver booster off of steam to scan and update drivers.

updated windows and did gpu driver manually

It'll blue screen quite regularly when playing Spintires, I just don't know where to start and it's driving him crazy.

Could use some advice.

Thanks a million for any help <3

Solution
Most drivers you need you can find on the manufacturer's website, or Windows Update.

You would only need the disc for internet and the chipset drivers, everything else you can get from the vendor's website, but you'll probably update the network and chipset drivers from the vendors's website as well.

Jonny Sparta

Honorable
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks for the info :) I was wondering if i went wrong with driver booster.

Will windows update get the updated drivers for hardware after i've run the disc that came with mobo?

Or is there any other good method for updating besides me just googling everything and trying to find the drivers on manufacture websites? .. Or will the mobo manufacturer have pretty much everything besides gpu?

Thanks again for the help, my poor buddy is going crazy.. or at least i figure he probably is.

Most drivers you need you can find on the manufacturer's website, or Windows Update.

You would only need the disc for internet and the chipset drivers, everything else you can get from the vendor's website, but you'll probably update the network and chipset drivers from the vendors's website as well.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What went wrong with Driver Booster is that it's installed. It cannot be trusted to get the proper drivers and blue screens are very commonly a driver issue.

Without any specific information provided by the blue screen, if this is a very recent install, the best thing to do would be to fully wipe the PC, reinstall Windows 10, and install the drivers the correct way this time. Then we'll have a better idea if something else is going on.

As Axe notes, the proper place to obtain drivers is the website(s) for the hardware used in your build.

Jonny Sparta

Honorable
Apr 24, 2016
Right on thank you for the information guys!!

I should have the computer back today or tomorrow

I really should have known better about driver booster, i remember watching it install a gpu driver and thinking to myself.. how could this program possibly do this right without any of the driver install popups and what about uac..

But i went for it anyway, my buddy was anxious to see his RGB lol.... sob.. lol

Figure clean install is a good place to start as suggested.

Jonny Sparta

Honorable
Apr 24, 2016
ok drive formatted
new windows in,
ran mobo driver disc before network connection,
then updated windows until it had nothing left.
gpu driver in
steam and game

sooo far so good

I checked for updates manually in device manager for everything and it all said best available

Now Im just trying to remember any more best practices for new windows optimization and so on.
I'll check here if anyone has any additional advice but will probably make a new thread for that if my googling doesn't satisfy my urge to make sure this pc is perfect from here on.

Thanks for the advice guys