[SOLVED] New PC built getting BSOD, can the CPU be the issue even though it passes all stress test?

onechi

Prominent
Mar 2, 2021
Long story short, I built a new PC, it boots, it runs but it had a lot of BSOD errors, I ran basically every test possible that I could find on the internet to no avail (Memtest, Prime95, Cinebench... all passed). The dump files were inconclusive and were basically "memory errors"

I thought, likely motherboard problem, I brought my entire pc to the store I bought the mobo from (I bought almost all of my parts from different places), they did their testing and said they agreed was mobo issue and said they fixed and reassembled my PC, but when I got it back I was still facing the errors. I wasn't happy with their store/service (another long story) so I didn't want to take it back to them.

I took it to a second PC store, they said it was a CPU issue, I was slightly baffled as my CPU passed all the stress test and the only explanation they gave me was that they put a different CPU (Ryzen 3600) into my mobo and it worked fine.I'm feeling a bit skeptical, is this possible? The problem I have with exchanging the CPU was that I actually bought it on an overseas trip about 3 months ago (I thought the CPU was out of stock everywhere blah blah and wanted to snag one quick), it'll be unlikely I can get an exchange/refund.

Specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
  • EVGA Nvidia 3070
  • MSI MPG B550 Gaming edge
  • Gskills 16 (2x8) DDR4 3600 CLL16
  • Cosair 650w 80+ GOLD
  • Noctua NH-U12S Cpu cooler
  • Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD

Last edited:
Solution
I think ú have the lower luck with your batch off the CPU. On stock factory voltage when he turbos he's not stable and gets a voltage spike and shuts off. Ú can try to give voltage to see how it behaves , or under volt it to give it more headroom maybe the voltage is what causing it to be unstable or stable . Also some programs have issues with cpu and bios

. Like for example ubisoft ghost recon Wildlands is one for me that just randomly crashes my computer . Hopefully I get support in bios later down the road

I can run everything stress test every game out there that's even more demanding but this application or program or game is just bugged with my 5800x. Ú need to decide if I upgrade bios or not. Also how good or bad a batch...

Colif

Win 11 Master
what codes are you getting?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explorer
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

May 2, 2021
I think ú have the lower luck with your batch off the CPU. On stock factory voltage when he turbos he's not stable and gets a voltage spike and shuts off. Ú can try to give voltage to see how it behaves , or under volt it to give it more headroom maybe the voltage is what causing it to be unstable or stable . Also some programs have issues with cpu and bios

. Like for example ubisoft ghost recon Wildlands is one for me that just randomly crashes my computer . Hopefully I get support in bios later down the road

I can run everything stress test every game out there that's even more demanding but this application or program or game is just bugged with my 5800x. Ú need to decide if I upgrade bios or not. Also how good or bad a batch off cpu ú have and with what motherboard you run this with.

And then if the headache and application is worth it. Or just rma the chip if it's bad. Many bad chips they say... Make sure Ur box is unopened. That's why I never let anyone else do my pc. You never know what they put in or swap.

Good luck

Solution