[SOLVED] New PC burning smell

jase888

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2012
I built a new PC around 2 months ago and when I built it initially there was a burning smell when it was installing Windows so I turned it off. I checked all the Modular PSU cables and all seemed firmly in but in the end decided to pull them out and start again. The smell never came back but building a new PC for someone soon and it got me thinking what was it? Was it likely I hadn't pushed in the PSU cables in correct as it was a Modular one?

My PC has been fine since but wanted to check its not going to happen again in the future? Someone told me its probably because one cable wont have been pushed in firmly causing it to make that smell as it cuts out? Does this sound about right?

Solution
I will say at not uncommon.

There is always some sort of residue, dust, oils, flux, plastic bits, etc. left on circuit boards and other PC components.

That residue usually "burns" off after the system has heated up and cooled off a few times.

The smell might linger a bit but eventually, as in your situation, goes away.

A strong or continuing smell would be a warning sign of a problem.

As well as smoke, sparks, popping/crackling, melting, etc..

Ralston18

Titan
I will say at not uncommon.

There is always some sort of residue, dust, oils, flux, plastic bits, etc. left on circuit boards and other PC components.

That residue usually "burns" off after the system has heated up and cooled off a few times.

The smell might linger a bit but eventually, as in your situation, goes away.

A strong or continuing smell would be a warning sign of a problem.

As well as smoke, sparks, popping/crackling, melting, etc..

Solution