New PC ! But its heating up too Fast :(

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AddictiveHerring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
This is the way I understand it, but I could be wrong

A cpu shoots bits of data around when it is really hot this affects the cpu performance causing some data bits to be lost, they need to be recreated and fired off all over again.

when the fan of my old p4 started to fall off (lol) temps went crazy, I didn't notice for some time, I thought my framerate in gta was halving because of spyware or a virus (I was a newb) it only got worse, evnentually the computer just started killing itself and turning off. I was pretty scared, so I opened it up and the cpu HSF was hanging half on half off.

The decrease in cpu functionality was caused by packet loss due to extreme temp.

AddictiveHerring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
my room temp is usually around 68 degrees F I have a TT big typhoon and two 120 mm case fans plus a 90 mill side fan with nothing impeding airflow.

two other things worth noting:

A) most people apply thermal paste incorectly, first clean everything with isopropyl alcohol, then you want to put some of the thermal material on the copper block of your sink, and then wipe it off (yes that is right) this is to fill those tiny little grooves, sometimes even microscopic grooves. Secondly place a rice grain sized amount on the clean cpu, and spread it literally as thin as you can with a razor blade. Wait a few weeks and it will be all set and perfect.

B) you do not have a 5k watt surround system. unless you have 10 250 watt subs and 5 500 watt amps each one driving a single channel of your system, ALL IN AN 11X9 ROOM, lol

reyazi

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Guys this HSF is bad ass !! :eek: check it out

Thermaltake Big Typhoon
35-106-061-01.JPG

Thanks " AddictiveHerring " :wink:

DomBenson

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
I think it's perfectly reasonable to get the standard version of the MB - higher versions usually just have 'toys' on them, although if you wanted RAID then it might have been an idea. Skimping on a lower-end chipset would be a bad idea of course.
I wouldn't necessarily leap into getting a 3rd party HSF, try re-doing the contacts with Arctic silver as above first, the stock cooler isn't that bad and you have to spend a lot to make a noticeable improvement.
Have a look at fan setup: is your Tsunami the version with the side intake fan? If not, then drilling a hole in the side and mounting a 120mm fan right over CPU/GPU would help a lot; I've found as much as 7C difference between having the fan and not, just because you've then got room-temperature air going into the CPU heatsink. If you can get hold of a duct then that can help too (in fact an 80mm duct over the CPU makes a fair difference all on its own if the fan on the heatsink cuts the mustard (have only done this on AMD, not sure how effective the Intel fan is).

AddictiveHerring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
I actually think the current thermaltake Tsunami Dream fan set up works quite well, a 120 mm in front a 120 mm in back and a 90 mm side vent. adding another force on the side that is also a 120 mm might create some weird airflow plus i wouldn't want to mangle the side of such a good looker.

Eh, with asus boards the higher models have better bio features etc. not to mention improved cooling, the better heatsinks with heat pipes etc. seem to be worth the small price increase for overclockers.

Ohh ok Thats good to know but how long does it take to be normal and what should i expect in terms of tempreture?
Mid 40s should be idle temp, I'm getting about 46C idle. That's on stock cooling, so don't expect better.

Should i invest in a better heatsink?
Only if you're going to overclock, otherwise you shouldn't upgrade.

to the OP.

don't forget with all of the wild temp readings a very early conculsion was that there is no way to reliably read temps, it could just be that it is not being read corectly.

Especially as there were people reporting 80+C on a processor that was still working and not throttling.

I'm running stock, and I don't get above 40C at idle, in a 20-22C ambient, can drop down to 33-34C with an 18C ambient. Currently running Folding @100% and it is sitting at 45C, with fan at lowest setting from mobo. Thats using speedfan and core temp.

Message is you don't alwasy need new / bigger heat sinks.