Question New PC - - - buzzing from speakers when gaming ?

skint

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Hi all

I recently got a new PC and I'm getting a buzzing sound from the speakers when gaming (e.g. playing Cyberpunk). It's fine when the game is paused but when in action it's a problem. I initially also had a bad whine in menus but I fixed that by enabling V-Sync. This wasn't an issue with my old PC.

I'm currently using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 external sound card that I've now got plugged into a powered USB socket extender. I've tried plugging the speakers into a different socket to the PC and using different power extenders. I think the entire upstairs of the house is on the same circuit so can't try a different circuit. I'm using balanced XLR to Jack cables to go from soundcard to speaker. Graphics card is a Nvidia 3060TI.

I'm thinking it's a grounding/power issue as I can turn off the USB power which kills the sound but the speakers are still on and will still buzz in game. If I unplug the soundcard from the USB it will stop the buzzing (speakers are still on and game is still running but obviously without sound). If I've got headphones on and the speakers off there's no buzzing. I'm not great at moving PC parts around and would want to avoid moving my graphics card. Is there any other things I can try to eleminate the noise?

Thanks!

skint

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Try this. Go to where the power cord for the SPEAKERS is plugged in. I bet it has only TWO prongs. Unplug that, flip the plug over and plug back in. See if that improves it. If you wan to know why?, post back here.
I'm in the UK so have 3-pronged power cords so don't think this applies. The connection going into the speakers is 3 pin as well. Thanks for the reply though!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree. The reason for the suggestion is that in North America with older 2-prong plug systems is is possible for the Hot and Neutral lines to get reversed when interconnecting several devices. With any 3-prong system (here or in the UK) that mix-up is not possible unless some amateur has created a weird cable or installed house wiring wrong.

So with that not in play, the cause may be inadequate shielding of cables leading to hum pickup. OF there is a poorer-quality cable with NO shielding that's a cause. More commonly somehow the shields in one or more cables are making a poor connection in sockets OR a cable is routed VERY close to a strong source of alternating magnetic fields (power cables, transformer, motor etc.).

That Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 unit appears to be an audio mixing system, not a sound card that actually GENERATES audio from computer signals. That would imply that the source of its sound signals is elsewhere in your system - either from a mobo-based audio chip or from the audio capabilities in your video card. How are analog audio signals fed into the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, and from what source connection?

Last edited:

skint

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I agree. The reason for the suggestion is that in North America with older 2-prong plug systems is is possible for the Hot and Neutral lines to get reversed when interconnecting several devices. With any 3-prong system (here or in the UK) that mix-up is not possible unless some amateur has created a weird cable or installed house wiring wrong.

So with that not in play, the cause may be inadequate shielding of cables leading to hum pickup. OF there is a poorer-quality cable with NO shielding that's a cause. More commonly somehow the shields in one or more cables are making a poor connection in sockets OR a cable is routed VERY close to a strong source of alternating magnetic fields (power cables, transformer, motor etc.).

That Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 unit appears to be an audio mixing system, not a sound card that actually GENERATES audio from computer signals. That would imply that the source of its sound signals is elsewhere in your system - either from a mobo-based audio chip or from the audio capabilities in your video card. How are analog audio signals fed into the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, and from what source connection?

The focusrite is fed by a USB cable (USB2, I've tried it with a different USB cable as well) which i've now got going via a powered USB dock to see if that made a difference (it didn't), and then jack to XLR cables going from the focusrite to the speakers. I think you're right in that it's probably something with the motherboard as it wasn't an issue with the same setup focursite/speakerwise on my older PC . The new mobo I'm using is an ASUS Z690-Plus. Is there an external device available that might help?

Maybe I'm missing something but have you tried plugging it directly into the computer? The manual does say you can do this, but with a weirded way of saying a later version of USB 2.0. Before someone goes "but USB 2.0 is only capable of 0.5A!" it had a change in the spec in 2010 to allow for up to 1.5A because the USB-IF realized how important USB would be for cell phone charging.

While I haven't tested much with my own USB powered speakers, I noticed I don't have any audible noise coming out of them even if I crank them up and they're powered directly from the computer.

skint

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Maybe I'm missing something but have you tried plugging it directly into the computer? The manual does say you can do this, but with a weirded way of saying a later version of USB 2.0. Before someone goes "but USB 2.0 is only capable of 0.5A!" it had a change in the spec in 2010 to allow for up to 1.5A because the USB-IF realized how important USB would be for cell phone charging.

While I haven't tested much with my own USB powered speakers, I noticed I don't have any audible noise coming out of them even if I crank them up and they're powered directly from the computer.
I originally had it in my PC's MOBO USB slot but was having the same issue (hence why I tried the powered USB). The noise I get is unrelated to the volume, it's a constant buzz regardless of what level the volume is at. My focusrite is probably about 10 or so years old now and has a USB2.0b connection rather than the C connection like in that manual. Think it's worth getting a newer USB cable and giving that a go?

I originally had it in my PC's MOBO USB slot but was having the same issue (hence why I tried the powered USB). The noise I get is unrelated to the volume, it's a constant buzz regardless of what level the volume is at. My focusrite is probably about 10 or so years old now and has a USB2.0b connection rather than the C connection like in that manual. Think it's worth getting a newer USB cable and giving that a go?
If the buzz is at the same volume regardless of the output volume, then it's likely the components are starting to show its age at this point.

Mar 23, 2023
It sounds like you may be experiencing an issue with electrical interference causing the buzzing sound in your speakers while gaming. Here are some steps you can try to eliminate the noise:
  1. Try using a different set of speakers or headphones to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the issue is with your current speakers or the sound card.
  2. Make sure all of your cables are securely plugged in and that there are no loose connections. This can cause interference and buzzing sounds.
  3. Try using a different USB port on your PC for the sound card. Sometimes, certain USB ports can be more susceptible to interference.
  4. If possible, try using a different power outlet or surge protector for your PC and speakers. As you mentioned, it could be a grounding or power issue causing the interference.
  5. If none of the above steps work, you may want to consider purchasing a ground loop isolator, which can help eliminate interference caused by differences in ground potential between different components in your setup.
I hope these suggestions help you eliminate the buzzing sound in your speakers while gaming.

TRENDING THREADS