[SOLVED] New PC Cable Connection Novice

Dec 2, 2019
Hello all,

First post on here but looking for some help after watching near 1 billion YT videos and have them all more or less skip over the PSU/general cable connections part.

I was in the process of upgrading an SSD on my 10-year old rig when I decided to just finally build my own full rig. Almost all of the parts arrived yesterday so I managed to get everything bar the GPU (coming Wednesday) installed but when it came to the cabling I almost had an aneurysm. I am a complete novice when it comes to the hardware side of PC's.

My new rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X (Wraith Spire cooler included)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
GPU: GTX 1650S ROG Strix
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 4TB
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)
Power: Corsair RM750
Fans: 2x Corsair ML120 RGB inc. Lighting Node PRO
Case: NZXT H500i

Can anyone give me a really simple answer as to what cabling I need and where it goes? Or a decent YT tutorial I may have missed? I've got a ridiculous amount of cables in all the boxes now. I think I maybe bit off more than I can chew as well getting the RGB fans as the lighting node baffles me when the case also has a smart device included.

Much appreciated if anyone can help at all.

Solution

You can use this video for a lot of helpful information, most of the wiring etc is explained in the video, I know its long but there's a lot of handy info in the video, and you could even follow along, though I would suggest watching it through first, then following along. If you have any questions while building, you can ask here, and it's okay to have questions since the parts in the video are different from yours, especially since he has a liquid cooler while you seem to be using the stock cooler. But for wiring, a lot of the things will be common.

You can use this video for a lot of helpful information, most of the wiring etc is explained in the video, I know its long but there's a lot of handy info in the video, and you could even follow along, though I would suggest watching it through first, then following along. If you have any questions while building, you can ask here, and it's okay to have questions since the parts in the video are different from yours, especially since he has a liquid cooler while you seem to be using the stock cooler. But for wiring, a lot of the things will be common.

Solution
Dec 2, 2019

Thank you I'll be sure to check that one out. I watched a lot of "Build a PC" videos with millions of views but every time they got to the cabling section they assumed viewers knew which component needed which cable and just skipped ahead.