[SOLVED] New pc can't boot from linux ssd

ForeverNoob

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
Hello,

Got a new PC with Gigabyte B560M DS3H board. I moved a Win10 SATA SSD from old pc to new one, it booted fine. Then I moved Linux (manjaro KDE) SATA SSD from old pc (after removing the Win10 SSD which I don't use anymore), and the computer will not boot from the Linux SSD, it will just drop into BIOS setup (which, btw, recognize the SSD). It will also not boot from a USB SSD with Ventoy on it. All those SSD's worked fine on old PC. Windows DVD boots OK too. Looks like new PC refuses to boot non-Windows. Tried loading BIOS optimized values, nothing changed. Any ideas?

TIA

Solution
yes, that's why I tried booting from USB Ventoy SSD to re-install Manjaro, but that will not work too. In fact, when pressing on startup F12 for boot menu the PC doesn't display any boot device.
You can’t boot from a USB SSD, you need a a USB key. Install Linux from a USB key. Or a DVD

ForeverNoob

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
Any time you move a drive with an OS installed on it from one machine to another machine that has different hardware you risk problems.

Sometimes it will work fine....other times not so much.

A clean install is a better way to go.

yes, that's why I tried booting from USB Ventoy SSD to re-install Manjaro, but that will not work too. In fact, when pressing on startup F12 for boot menu the PC doesn't display any boot device.