New pc cant install Windows

Tyreke

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
ok i recently built a new gaming pc, it works fine i booted it up and proceeded towars windows 7 installation. but heres my problem, it loads the windows 7 file then freezes on "starting windows"

My pc specs are:
PSU: EVGA 500B 80+ BRONZE PC Power Supply
MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-UD3P Motherboard (AMD 970, SB950 DDR3, SATA, RAID, ATX, Gigabit Ethernet LAN, Socket AM3+) Rev. 2.0.
HDD: Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB 3.5 inch Hard Drive
DRAM: Crucial BLS2C4G3D1609ES2LX0CEU 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Ballistix Sport 2 x 4 GB modules
DVD: LiteOn IHAS124-14 24x SATA Internal DVDRW - Black
GRAPHICS CARD: EVGA Nvidia Gtx 960 128-Bit PCI-E Graphics Card

please help ive been researching everywhere and ive seen people say it may be my powersupply unit but im sure 500w is enough for this build, ive seen people say to use one stick of ram but it still dosent work ive even seen that windows 8 will work and im willing to do that but i dont want to waste 70+ pounds if the issue can be resolved here.

I did one thing that nearly made it work instead of booting from my hard drive in bios settingd i booted fromfrom the dvdrw that let in get past the starting windows screen and actually let my install it but upon restarting windows it froze. ive been trying it again but now it freezes during the installation.

please help my first pc build has gone terribly wrong lol, but i dont think its too do with the specs. maybe something in my bios settings? i dont know any suggestions would help!

Vetsku

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015
You should just boot from the hard drive. I had kind of the same problem, but when i booted from the hard drive it worked. (many years back)
I dont know why its freezing tho. It shouldnt be the power supply's fault.

Tyreke

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016

i tried that but it still freezes :??: thanks though

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
First, the best way to set up the boot priority sequence in BIOS Setup is to set the optical drive as first device, then your HDD second. After you set this, remember to SAVE and EXIT. From then on, your system will try the optical drive first, and MOST of the time that will be empty (or might have a non-bootable disk in it). The system then will proceed immediately to the second choice, the HDD, and boot.

Once that is set, you will need to place your Windows Install disk in the optical drive and boot from that. Now, to Install Windows you really should have an HDD that is empty, but you MAY have an installation on it already from your previous work. So first thing to do is to use the menus of the Install disk to Delete any and all Partitions already on your HDD (if any) so it is completely empty. NOTE: THIS WILL DESTROY ANY OLD DATA ON THE HDD. I am assuming that you do NOT have any data on there that you need, since you have not even got it to work yet. When the HDD is empty, THEN proceed with a normal Install. It may reboot a couple of times through the operations. But near the end it will tell you it is complete and should be able to boot and run Windows. At that point, remove the Install disk from the optical drive and reboot. It should check the (empty) optical unit briefly and then boot cleanly from your HDD.

Tyreke

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016

i think i have discovered the problem, my psu comes with two 4 pin connectors and i only plugged in one so there may be only half the power going to the cpu. could this be the problem?

What does the motherboard manual say to do? Plug in one or both of the 4 pin connectors? It may be dependent on the processor you are using, you didn't specify that unless I missed it. Under the specifications for your board it say it has 1 x 8 pin ATX 12V power connector. I am not saying plug them both in, because I am not sure, but the information should be in your manual.

Also, you will need the proper BIOS for whichever CPU you have.