[SOLVED] New PC case fans loud while idle

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
Okay, so I got a new custom built from my local Microcenter. Works great for the most part; plays every game on max, but there's one problem. Even when idle, there's a constant low pitched whirring noise coming from one of the case fans. Regardless of I'm idle or playing a game; it's always there. It's like a low-pitched whirring vibrating noise that is noticeable even when wearing headphones.

The noise doesn't increase while gaming. It's just always there.

So what should I do? Should I take it back to Microcenter and see if they can fix it or is there another way to fix it?

Solution
If you bought it there, and the noise doesn't seem normal, then yes, I'd take it back as long as it's still under warranty and tell them what is happening. Check to see that the fan is securely fastened on all four corners. See exactly where THAT fan connects to. Some of these cheap prebuilt (And even some that aren't so cheap) systems tend to use less expensive three pin DC controlled fans that can only run at one speed on SOME PWM fan headers, or plug them into "sys_fan" headers with only three pins that might only be capable of running at one speed.

It might also be that you simply need to assign the desired fan profiles to each fan header in the BIOS settings.
If you bought it there, and the noise doesn't seem normal, then yes, I'd take it back as long as it's still under warranty and tell them what is happening. Check to see that the fan is securely fastened on all four corners. See exactly where THAT fan connects to. Some of these cheap prebuilt (And even some that aren't so cheap) systems tend to use less expensive three pin DC controlled fans that can only run at one speed on SOME PWM fan headers, or plug them into "sys_fan" headers with only three pins that might only be capable of running at one speed.

It might also be that you simply need to assign the desired fan profiles to each fan header in the BIOS settings.

Solution

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012

I see. Then I may just take it back. My motherboard is the Asrock B550m ac mobo is that helps.

All of the fan headers on that board are 4 pin PWM/DC compatible fan headers. There is a CPU fan header and three chassis fan headers on that board. All of the chassis fan headers are able to be configured as water pump (100% speed at all times) or fan headers (Variable speed PWM or DC controls WITH the option to change the "source" sensor used to control the fan speed from among several different choices including motherboard, VRM, etc.).

I would recommend going into the BIOS and making sure that none of them are set to waterpump, that all of them except the CPU fan header are set to "motherboard". CPU fan header should be set to "CPU". Other fan headers should NOT be set to "CPU", if they are, change them to motherboard as the source for the thermal diode feedback.

Also, make sure EACH of the chassis fan headers is set to something like standard or silent. I like silent when using a preconfigured fan profile because it's a lot quieter BUT will still ramp up to full speed when necessary. Configuring a custom fan curve and using that for each chassis fan header is an option as well.

Or you could return it to them and explain these concerns and see if they won't help you out. Up to you.

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
All of the fan headers on that board are 4 pin PWM/DC compatible fan headers. There is a CPU fan header and three chassis fan headers on that board. All of the chassis fan headers are able to be configured as water pump (100% speed at all times) or fan headers (Variable speed PWM or DC controls WITH the option to change the "source" sensor used to control the fan speed from among several different choices including motherboard, VRM, etc.).

I would recommend going into the BIOS and making sure that none of them are set to waterpump, that all of them except the CPU fan header are set to "motherboard". CPU fan header should be set to "CPU". Other fan headers should NOT be set to "CPU", if they are, change them to motherboard as the source for the thermal diode feedback.

Also, make sure EACH of the chassis fan headers is set to something like standard or silent. I like silent when using a preconfigured fan profile because it's a lot quieter BUT will still ramp up to full speed when necessary. Configuring a custom fan curve and using that for each chassis fan header is an option as well.

Or you could return it to them and explain these concerns and see if they won't help you out. Up to you.
Hmm, I'll definitely try that. Most of the fans are set to silent.

Took the computer to store and the builder guys say they don't hear the noise. Strange.

Tried sitting the computer off the carpet and onto some cardboard. No difference. Buzzing sound still there.

Even with all fans set to full speed, the vibrating noise is still there.

Might have to try and isolate the problem myself.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Buzzing sound could be coming from a HDD or could be coil whine. Also some fans when running at a specific RPM the motor will make a noise but it could be fixed by adjusting the fan curve.

So I would suggest to go to Youtube and look for HDD noise and coil whine sound and compare it with the noise you're getting, also I recommend booting into BIOS and adjust the fan curves.