Status
Not open for further replies.

monitorlizard

Reputable
Aug 5, 2018
just change poxy windows10 to linux problem solved
Well..that's an enlightened comment.
Do you have any specifics on this?

How would Linux merge with the corporate Windows server and Active Directory and Exchange?
How does the Linux gaming environment compare to the Windows environment?

We await your comments with bated breath.

Reactions: which_doctor
Dec 25, 2019
Well..that's an enlightened comment.
Do you have any specifics on this?

How would Linux merge with the corporate Windows server and Active Directory and Exchange?
How does the Linux gaming environment compare to the Windows environment?

We await your comments with bated breath.
well im pretty much half cut at the mo so hope this reply makes sense windows10 is absolute CRAP problem after problem ever since its ** introduction not a week goes by without some crap happens Ive been with win7 4 9 years and never repeat never had 1 repeat 1 problem not 1 how would linux merge with windows? it wouldnt cos windows wouldnt be there im going over 2 linux cos ive not 1 good report of windows10

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 25, 2019
well im pretty much half cut at the mo so hope this reply makes sense windows10 is absolute CRAP problem after problem ever since its shitty introduction not a week goes by without some crap happens Ive been with win7 4 9 years and never repeat never had 1 repeat 1 problem not 1 how would linux merge with windows? it wouldnt cos windows wouldnt be there im going over 2 linux cos ive not 1 good report of windows10

Dec 25, 2019
Some good tips here, but there's a lot more fire to extinguish in the hellhole that is Windows 10. Here's my recipe...

Close the Peer to Peer Update Process
By default, Microsoft sets up a peer-to-peer network on your device that sees it share Windows Update files with complete strangers. Here's how to get rid of that:

Settings, Update and Security, Advanced Options, Choose How Updates are Installed, Choose How Updates are Delivered ---> Set it to OFF

Disallow Background Apps
You'll be amazed at how much junk Microsoft runs in the background, you can disable them here:

Settings, Privacy, Background Apps

While there, under the "General" setting, you might want to disable other junk hogging your network.

Disable Windows Auto-Tune
Microsoft thinks your apps should be sharing data with each other, if you beg to differ, disable it:

Open Command Prompt as Administrator, copy/paste and hit enter:
netsh interface tcp show global

Next, copy/paste and hit enter:
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
(normal to re-enable)

Disable Large Send Offload (LSO)
Microsoft thinks your apps (or rather theirs, like Skype, for example) should have themselves an all-they-can-eat bandwidth buffet while you're doing something else, here's how to disable that:

Device Manager, Network Adapters, Network Card, Properties, Advanced: Disable LSO in IPv4 and IPv6

Disable Reserved Internet Bandwidth
By default, Microsoft keeps 20% of your bandwidth in reserve to push updates and other "suggested" content at you. Here's how to disable that:

Open Run and send command: gpedit.msc

From Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Network and QoS Packet Scheduler: Set Limit reservable bandwidth to Enabled and then change the Bandwidth limit (%) from 100 to 0

Click Apply and OK

Disable search indexing

Settings, Search, Search Windows.

Under the "More Search Indexer Settings" section, click the Advanced Search Indexer Settings option. Click the Modify button. Click the Show all locations button.

Uncheck some or all the selected locations.

Turn Off Silent Install Apps
When you don't want apps that you uninstalled to magically come back:

From the RUN command, type REGEDIT, hit enter and go to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager

Check if the Dword value SilentInstalledAppsEnabled exists and set its value to 0.

If the Dword value does not exist, right-click on ContentDeliveryManager and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value. Name it SilentInstalledAppsEnabled and give it the value 0.

Restart your device and live optimized :)

New Edge Browser is Chromium Variant and very good.

Been testing it at work. Its a good browser. But I don't know if Microsoft can erode the grasp Google has on the browser market.

I always find it funny how people talk about Microsoft collecting their data and then install a free browser from a company whose primary income is ad revenue, especially after they purchased the largest ad company and became the largest in the world.

The ever so helpful "move to linux" solution. Because that has worked for the past 30 years which is why Linux has a commanding market share.

Some good tips here, but there's a lot more fire to extinguish in the hellhole that is Windows 10. Here's my recipe...

Close the Peer to Peer Update Process
By default, Microsoft sets up a peer-to-peer network on your device that sees it share Windows Update files with complete strangers. Here's how to get rid of that:

Settings, Update and Security, Advanced Options, Choose How Updates are Installed, Choose How Updates are Delivered ---> Set it to OFF

Disallow Background Apps
You'll be amazed at how much junk Microsoft runs in the background, you can disable them here:

Settings, Privacy, Background Apps

While there, under the "General" setting, you might want to disable other junk hogging your network.

Disable Windows Auto-Tune
Microsoft thinks your apps should be sharing data with each other, if you beg to differ, disable it:

Open Command Prompt as Administrator, copy/paste and hit enter:
netsh interface tcp show global

Next, copy/paste and hit enter:
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
(normal to re-enable)

Disable Large Send Offload (LSO)
Microsoft thinks your apps (or rather theirs, like Skype, for example) should have themselves an all-they-can-eat bandwidth buffet while you're doing something else, here's how to disable that:

Device Manager, Network Adapters, Network Card, Properties, Advanced: Disable LSO in IPv4 and IPv6

Disable Reserved Internet Bandwidth
By default, Microsoft keeps 20% of your bandwidth in reserve to push updates and other "suggested" content at you. Here's how to disable that:

Open Run and send command: gpedit.msc

From Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Network and QoS Packet Scheduler: Set Limit reservable bandwidth to Enabled and then change the Bandwidth limit (%) from 100 to 0

Click Apply and OK

Disable search indexing

Settings, Search, Search Windows.

Under the "More Search Indexer Settings" section, click the Advanced Search Indexer Settings option. Click the Modify button. Click the Show all locations button.

Uncheck some or all the selected locations.

Turn Off Silent Install Apps
When you don't want apps that you uninstalled to magically come back:

From the RUN command, type REGEDIT, hit enter and go to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager

Check if the Dword value SilentInstalledAppsEnabled exists and set its value to 0.

If the Dword value does not exist, right-click on ContentDeliveryManager and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value. Name it SilentInstalledAppsEnabled and give it the value 0.

Restart your device and live optimized :)

I turn off the Peer-to-Peer however I can see its usefulness in some cases as you can disable that and make it specifically for just internal systems. If you have a bandwidth limit having one system download the updates and other systems pull from it would be useful.

I wouldn't disable search indexing. Even with SSDs it helps speed up searches.

Reactions: punkncat
well im pretty much half cut at the mo so hope this reply makes sense windows10 is absolute CRAP problem after problem ever since its ** introduction not a week goes by without some crap happens Ive been with win7 4 9 years and never repeat never had 1 repeat 1 problem not 1 how would linux merge with windows? it wouldnt cos windows wouldnt be there im going over 2 linux cos ive not 1 good report of windows10

You are going to but are not on Linux are you :) Be honest because you will be "going to" for decades. I work on Linux every day and have no desire to run it at home.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Most of these are opinion so I don't feel like chiming in, but:
By default, Windows 10 shares a lot of data with Microsoft about your usage habits. Fortunately, by changing a few settings, you can keep at least some of your information out of the software giant's hands.
It prompts you when you fire up a fresh system / install these days, actually. Has for some time.
I turn off the Peer-to-Peer however I can see its usefulness in some cases as you can disable that and make it specifically for just internal systems. If you have a bandwidth limit having one system download the updates and other systems pull from it would be useful.
I never disable or change swarming behavior unless I'm on a connection that is upstream bandwidth limited or metered. It benefits everyone on an unmetered unlimited connection, and disabling it will reduce your download speed. As you said though, it can be used in different ways to achieve different goals.

You were smoking something bad man, check with your dealer !!!

mchldpy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Been testing it at work. Its a good browser. But I don't know if Microsoft can erode the grasp Google has on the browser market.

I always find it funny how people talk about Microsoft collecting their data and then install a free browser from a company whose primary income is ad revenue, especially after they purchased the largest ad company and became the largest in the world.

The ever so helpful "move to linux" solution. Because that has worked for the past 30 years which is why Linux has a commanding market share.

I wouldn't disable search indexing. Even with SSDs it helps speed up searches.

Window's Search, ever heard of "Everything"?

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

No. Linux still has issues running a bunch of Windows 10 games even today. That does not 'solve the problem' especially if you have an older relative who does not understand the Linux command line and has no intention of learning to understand it!
With that? Windows 10, period.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
especially if you have an older relative who does not understand the Linux command line and has no intention of learning to understand it!

This isn't the 1990s. Why would you go through all that extra effort to teach an older relative the command line when all you have to do is just show them where to click the mouse?

Especially when your first step to getting to the terminal is to click your mouse to open it up. Why even bother with that? I would be curious to know what that conversation even looks like, where you dissuade them from using the icons and UI elements and instead focus on opening up terminal.

Reactions: daglesj

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
This isn't the 1990s. Why would you go through all that extra effort to teach an older relative the command line when all you have to do is just show them where to click the mouse?

Especially when your first step to getting to the terminal is to click your mouse to open it up. Why even bother with that? I would be curious to know what that conversation even looks like, where you dissuade them from using the icons and UI elements and instead focus on opening up terminal.

Command Line is just old BS by a group that are terrified of losing their jobs. They just use it as a barrier to entry to keep newcomers out. Intimidation pure and simple.

Them - "Oh it's so much quicker to learn all these obscure and long typed commands that have been handed down by pale greasy neck-beards generation after generation!"

Me - "Erm...okay well I'm going to click that icon that does the same thing and I'll be off down the pub. See you in half an hour!"

It's pleasing to a small group of certain minded IT individuals who worry their time is past.

Now as for those Windows mods...5GB for System Restore? What is this? 2002?

Either don't use it as MS is deprecating it eventually. It also isnt that good and doesn't work in 10 most of the time (due to deprecation). So just set it to the minimum 1% and be done with it. You only really need the past two points really...if System Restore finds them when it all goes tits up.

Reactions: CountMike

jakeallen58

Commendable
Apr 30, 2018
Couldn't disagree more. Windows 10 has been phenomenal. Better than Windows 7 too. Enjoy your limited functionality in Linux. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS