Question New PC constantly Freezing

Mar 31, 2020
Hey just built about 90% of my new build and I wanted to test out the system using a placeholder GPU (650ti boost) while I wait for my new GPU, but in windows the computer freezes once every 10 seconds and then goes black screen then its fine for another couple seconds. It freezes so often that it makes it nearly impossible to check temps and such but the CPU cooler is pretty loud. This is my third build and its the first time something like this has ever happened. Any help would be appreciated.

Current Build:
Ryzen 3600 + Stock cooler
G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb 3200mhz CL16
Lian Li TU 150
ASUS B450I
EVGA 550W GM
Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB
GTX 650ti Boost 2GB (Placeholder)

Also, looking at task manager, every time the pc freezes up the GPU shoots up to 100% utilization. I'm wondering if these freezes are due to the GPU.

Edit: I just tried booting the PC again and I have gotten a White LED on the motherboard indicating that there is no VGA output. I'm starting to think that this was a GPU issue.

Last edited:
Hey just built about 90% of my new build and I wanted to test out the system using a placeholder GPU (650ti boost) while I wait for my new GPU, but in windows the computer freezes once every 10 seconds and then goes black screen then its fine for another couple seconds. It freezes so often that it makes it nearly impossible to check temps and such but the CPU cooler is pretty loud. This is my third build and its the first time something like this has ever happened. Any help would be appreciated.

Current Build:
Ryzen 3600 + Stock cooler
G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb 3200mhz CL16
Lian Li TU 150
ASUS B450I
EVGA 550W GM
Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB
GTX 650ti Boost 2GB (Placeholder)

Also, looking at task manager, every time the pc freezes up the GPU shoots up to 100% utilization. I'm wondering if these freezes are due to the GPU.

Edit: I just tried booting the PC again and I have gotten a White LED on the motherboard indicating that there is no VGA output. I'm starting to think that this was a GPU issue.

Welcome to Toms Hardware @yin1461 !

Where did you get the 650ti from and when? It is for sure a GPU issue and try reinstalling the drivers or using microsoft basic display adapter to see if it resolves. It is probably a faulty card and my best advice is just be patient for the new card. Judging by it the 650ti is old and a low-end card so I can't expect the best performance.

Mar 31, 2020
Welcome to Toms Hardware @yin1461 !

Where did you get the 650ti from and when? It is for sure a GPU issue and try reinstalling the drivers or using microsoft basic display adapter to see if it resolves. It is probably a faulty card and my best advice is just be patient for the new card. Judging by it the 650ti is old and a low-end card so I can't expect the best performance.

Hey, the 650ti came from my old system. It was working fine before and I am now unable to get into windows as the computer freezes up on the windows loading screen. I also tried to do a fresh install of windows but i was unable to finish that either because my computer froze during the process and became unresponsive.