New PC, Continuous Blue Screens.

Apr 1, 2018
I just built my new PC and got a copy of Windows 10 Pro. I can say that this was my first PC build, but I have been around it and watched them a lot. I was delighted when everything seemed to be working good. After about a days use, it started Blue Screening.

Error codes such as: System Service Exception, System Thread Exception not Handled, Driver_Overran_Stack_Buffer, Special Pool Detected Memory Corrupt, NTFS.sys failures.

At first, it was just one, and I figured a simple search of Google to fix this would help. Did a bit of troubleshooting and since then it's gotten worse much worse. The computer barely will stay on for more than a couple minutes.

I tried the auto repair on the windows troubleshooter it comes back with C:\windows\system32\logfile\srt\SrtTrail.txt when going to that file the system opens it but can't read it fast enough to figure out why maybe it's doing this. I will say this though when I first got the computer up and running I was a bit eager, and I downloaded all the drivers from the manufacturers without really reading them just because I built this for gaming, and I wanted to get to it. Since then I have completely reset everything formatting every drive to restart and maybe fix things, but it has done nothing other than it staying on for a couple of hours before going back to its BSOD sequence. I have been trying to look for help, but everything pretty much says update your drivers and stuff I have updated every driver in the "Drive Manager" on Windows 10. The only other thing I have found that says to do is to clear the CMOS on my motherboard which I have been waiting to do because I don't know too much about that. It would be much appreciated if anyone knew what I could do or try.

Specs~
MSI Z270 Gaming M7
CPU: Intel i7-7700k
AIO: Corsair h115i
GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM: Corsair Vengence 2666MHz
SSD: 2 Samsung 250GB
HDD: 2 Seagate 3TB
PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try this:

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
SFC fixes system files, DISM cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Most BSOD are drivers so its why eveything says to update them. Lets see what this might be...

Can you follow option one here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and I will ask someone to convert them into a format I can read.

Apr 1, 2018

As much as I would love to do the minidump, I was told by someone who has had a similar problem to clean install windows and try installing on a new drive. They said that it could be a failing SSD so I wanted to give it a shot. The thing is the computer won't make it through the installation before BSOD. I can, however, do the first thing you said until I get the OS to install. It gives pretty much the same error codes on the installation. Once I get the OS to install I will put it here.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So you sure its booting off the USB and not just running win 10? You have fast boot and Secure boot off?

What stage of installer does it fall over?

the second part is no use if you fresh install win 10 as the dumps only show errors that happen on that install. Sure, if you keep getting errors we can look.

those errors could be drivers or maybe hdd, NTFS.sys may allude to it being a hdd. shame boot drive isn't a seagate as I know they have bootable drive tools.

check the sata cables as it could just be a bad cable.

Go to MSI web site for motherboard and check you have latest BIOS and also download/run MSI Live update 6. It will double check Device manager is correct about your drivers.

Apr 1, 2018

I want to say thank you for trying to help; I really appreciate you trying to help me out, and hopefully, you can think of anything from this that might be wrong.

I'm pretty sure it's booting from the USB because I am clicking boot from USB Hard Disk.

The install falls over on the "Getting files ready for install" I have an AIO cooler which I didn't realize I forgot to put in the specs. I am using a Corsair h115i AIO cooler. Doesn't MSI Live Update say not to use that and wouldn't I have to be on the computer to check that. I can't get into safe mode or anything I did check the sata's and they all seem to work fine from what I know.

I know for a fact the BIOS is out of date and I wanted to do a BIOS update before this happened.

Do you think I should put windows on one of the Seagate HDDs? I don't mind the slower load times into windows I want to fix the PC. How fast it goes is like the least of my concerns right now.

Something I was going to try is to narrow the install down and unplug the sata from each one that causes an error on installation and see if maybe it helps stop the bluescreens. I should mention after I posted the last reply I tried installing it again one last time before I gave up for the night. This time I didn't get a BSOD I got the error code "0x8007025D" which points to corrupted media on the USB. So I just formatted and will try again.

Update #1: So I tried to install by unplugging 3 of the drives so it would maybe work. So something I have found is that it only gets a BSOD on SATA#1 which is the first SSD which previously had the OS on it. All other drives give the error code previously stated. "0x8007025D" As I said it points to corrupted media on the USB, but I have formatted and reinstalled twice on it, and it still gives the error, so I don't know where to go from here. The best I can come up with is going a getting a second USB to try with that thinking the USB might be corrupt now.

Update #2: So I got into the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool and instantly I knew there was something wrong because in the status I see " Hardware Problems were detected. To identify and repair these problems. You will need to contact to computer manufacturer." "Windows will restart the computer and your results will be displayed again after you log in." I still am unable to install windows on any of the drives after plenty of attempts the BSOD has returned on install after getting a new usb. I have yet to see that error message from the last update. So could this mean it's a RAM issue?

Update #3: After the Windows Diagnostics Tool finished the install for windows went through and I can now boot into windows for how long only time will tell so what I plan to do is put a full load on it and leave it over night. I don't really know how to reproduce the BSOD, but I can say from the very first one I was putting a load on it so I'll start there.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i didn't realise it won't even run in safe mode.

I would download this on another PC and use it to create a bootable USB of Memtest86, and use it to check your ram sticks, 1 stick at a time, Any errors above 0 are too many and are reason for the installer stopping at "Getting files ready for install" and the errors found by memory test tool in windows. Run the test a few times.

Installer uses ram as a ram drive when running the installation files on PC. It doesn't even touch the hdd until you tell it which drive to use.

only have 1 drive in PC when you install - thats just a general rule. Stops win 10 from putting boot files on another drive.

If ram is bad, the installer + the ssd might be fine too, but bad ram corrupts anything that runs through it. Probably explains the NTFS errors. NTFS - New Tech File System. All processes have to run in ram, or hdd.

Update BIOS as it too can effect memory timings, test sticks after bios update.

Apr 1, 2018

Alright to begin. I was, in fact, able to boot into windows after that Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool scan. I have tested with MemTest86, and it came up with 0 errors twice, but I ran AIDA64 all last night did a range of tests of all the parts and the only one that came up with Hardware Failure Message was the RAM test.

Something I did get for you is the MiniDump like you asked for in the first reply. I'll update the bios later tonight.