Question New PC crashing a minute or two after booting

Sep 7, 2020
Built a PC a few weeks ago. Ran with no issues - playing games, browsing web, spotify, etc. A week ago or so it crashed- just restarted, no blue screen, and has been crashing ever since. At first it would sometimes crash before I could log in. Mostly straight to restart, sometimes with a blue screen. It would crash after being idle on the desktop for a minute or two. It would crash the moment I tried to open chrome or spotify.

Now after reseating the heat sink, I thought I solved the issue - it ran for a good 15 min while I tried different things. I started downloading a couple things, and it crashed again. I restarted and it lasted 5 min. Restarted again, now it's back to how it was before, barely lasting a minute before crashing again.

I have reinstalled windows, no difference. I tried one stick of ram at a time, no difference. In safe mode it wont crash while idle, but it crashed when I tried to open spotify. Took mobo battery out for ten min, no difference. I'm lost.

r5 3600
g.skill ram, 3600
msi bazooka max wifi

Temp in bios is around 32 degrees. Temp in hwmonitor earlier when I could actually use it for a couple minutes at a time, was around 40.

Very confused. Hardware? Software?

I would really appreciate someone helping me until we can get it fixed. I'm actually making this post for a friend, I'm the one who put his PC together. Please let me know what other info I can get you in order to help us, thanks.

Edit:
So today we tried a different drive, tried ubuntu, tried my psu, tried my gpu, and still have the same issue. I'm certain now, after having it happen with ubuntu as well, that it's a hardware issue. This makes sense right?

I tried each stick of ram one at a time, but still want to try a different friend's ram just to be sure (I'm still using ddr3). Which leaves just the cpu and mobo left. How do I figure out which one it is so I can return the correct one?

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020
What speed are you running the memory? This motherboard supports 3466 or 3733 MHz (by A-XMP OC MODE), it does not support 3600 MHz.

Tried running it at 3466 just now, same thing. Also as I said, it was running fine before, why would this suddenly be the cause?

(That's a genuine question, not trying be a smart ass)

Sep 7, 2020
try monitoring temp of m.2 ssd did u remove plastic stick from cooler?if u can try see message from blue screen

Not sure which plastic stick you're referring to. Also, it no longer gives me blue screens. It only gave me a blue screen a couple time, when it first started happening. Now it simply restarts, no blue screen. Ssd temp is 33 c.

Rae Nelvin

Great
Aug 25, 2020
Psu is brand new. Antec earthwatts ea750g. I actually took my psu over to his house to test it and realized after I got there that his is semi modular and I didn't bring any cables...

So I will be testing psu tomorrow.
Bring your PC to your friend's house. Test your PC using his PSU, his PC using your PSU. So it'll narrow the possibilities. Either your PSU is broken or something in your PC is broke.

Sep 7, 2020
Bring your PC to your friend's house. Test your PC using his PSU, his PC using your PSU. So it'll narrow the possibilities. Either your PSU is broken or something in your PC is broke.

So today we tried a different drive, tried ubuntu, tried my psu, tried my gpu, and still have the same issue. I'm certain now, after having it happen with ubuntu as well, that it's a hardware issue. This makes sense right?

I tried each stick of ram one at a time, but still want to try a friend's ram just to be sure. Which leaves just the cpu and mobo left. How do I figure out which one it is so I can return the correct one?

Sep 7, 2020
that is fine, maybe u have problem with psu?

I tried each stick of ram one at a time, but still want to try a friend's ram just to be sure. Which leaves just the cpu and mobo left. How do I figure out which one it is so I can return the correct one?