[SOLVED] New PC freezing when launching games?

Feb 19, 2020
Just built my first PC, first experience with any PC gaming in general. Specs are below:

Windows 10 Home
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 core
MSI Arsenal Gaming AMD Ryzen B450 Tomahawk
Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz
XFX RX 5700 Xt Ticc III Ultra 8GB Boost Up to 2025 MHz GDDR6 3xDP HDMI Graphics Card
WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal PC SSD
Corsair CX Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply
Phanteks Eclipse Steel ATX Mid Tower Tempered Glass Case

I've had it for about a month, and recently when I launch games the PC freezes entirely and I have to cut power in order to restart. Also have had instances where I have "lost input" to my monitors and it does not come back until I hard reset the PC. I'm pretty nervous considering I'm so new at this, and I've tried some trouble shooting with what I've found online. I'm hoping there some simple mistake in my build, but I'm hoping someone here can help me.

Solution
1)It's basically a pairing of a budget range psu + high end gpu. Not the best, nor the worse combination you could've done.
The CX Series is better suited for something like the RX 500, or Nvidia's 16 series.
-You can try running on low settings = less gpu usage.
-Set a lower power limit in Radeon Wattman to see if it still crashes in game.

2)Ah, the Phanteks Eclipse P300.
That front panel design tends to hurt the more power hungry gpus, by introducing a strong airflow restriction.

3)Have you checked temps on the card at all? From what I've managed to find, XFX set a rather passive curve on that card - the fans really get cranking at 80C.
Try running those games with the side and front panel off to see if it'll still crash.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think there's any other way to find out than to troubleshoot...

I mean, just looking at your specs here on my screen, nothing particularly stands out, except for:
1)The combination of gpu and psu.
2)Which Phanteks Eclipse? You left out the number.
3)I've yet to see any in-depth reviews of the Thicc 3, which is a revision of the Thicc 2, so I don't know if XFX really fixed the thermal issues that the latter suffered from.

Feb 19, 2020
I don't think there's any other way to find out than to troubleshoot...

I mean, just looking at your specs here on my screen, nothing particularly stands out, except for:
1)The combination of gpu and psu.
2)Which Phanteks Eclipse? You left out the number.
3)I've yet to see any in-depth reviews of the Thicc 3, which is a revision of the Thicc 2, so I don't know if XFX really fixed the thermal issues that the latter suffered from.
  1. that combo is an issue? I pulled the build from pcgamehaven.com. Again, I know nothing about this stuff so I went off of that.
  2. The number for the Eclipse is (PH-ECPTG300PTG_Bk)
  3. Could overheating cause this issue? Generally it happens when I'm launching a game after I've been playing something else. Any recommendations on what fan to get or what type of cooling to go with?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)It's basically a pairing of a budget range psu + high end gpu. Not the best, nor the worse combination you could've done.
The CX Series is better suited for something like the RX 500, or Nvidia's 16 series.
-You can try running on low settings = less gpu usage.
-Set a lower power limit in Radeon Wattman to see if it still crashes in game.

2)Ah, the Phanteks Eclipse P300.
That front panel design tends to hurt the more power hungry gpus, by introducing a strong airflow restriction.

3)Have you checked temps on the card at all? From what I've managed to find, XFX set a rather passive curve on that card - the fans really get cranking at 80C.
Try running those games with the side and front panel off to see if it'll still crash.

Solution

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Is your RAM listed on your motherboard's QVL?

Also can you check the RAM for any faults by running Windows Memory Test.

Just type 'memory' into the search bar to bring it up.

Also make sure your AMD chipset drivers are up to date.

Check your Windows system files by typing ' sfc /scannow ' in a command prompt -right click the start button and do it under Admin.

Andy

Last edited: