[SOLVED] new pc from avadirect -> do i have sufficient cooling?

deathsentry

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Here's my configuration. Wanted to ensure I had sufficient quality cooling before placing order. I understand that overclocked (would like to OC CPU and GPU) processor could use up to twice the stated TDP? Also, axadirect doesn't offer watercooled/AIO devices. Thanks!!
  • Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass, No PSU, ATX, Black, Mid Tower Case
  • ROG Maximus XII Hero (Wi-Fi), Intel® Z490 Chipset, LGA 1200, HDMI, ATX Motherboard
  • Pre-Order Core™ i9-10900K 10-Core 3.7 - 5.3GHz Turbo, LGA 1200, 125W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION GAMING, 1350 - 1545MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • Overclocking, Single GPU, Optimal and Stable Performance
  • 64GB Kit (4 x 16GB) Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600MHz, CL16-19-19-39, Black-Silver, RGB LED, DIMM Memory
  • RM850x White, 80 PLUS Gold 850W, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Heligon HE01, 161mm Height, 300W TDP, Aluminum/Nickel CPU Cooler
  • AS5-3.5G, 3.5g, High-Density Polysynthetic Silver, Thermal Compound
  • 2TB 970 EVO Plus 2280, 3500 / 3300 MB/s, V-NAND 3-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • 10TB BarraCuda Pro ST10000DM0004, 7200 RPM, SATA 6Gb/s, 512e, 256MB cache, 3.5-Inch HDD
  • DRW-24B1ST, DVD 24x / CD 48x, DVD-Writer, 5.25-Inch, Optical Drive
  • CRW-UINB, Internal, 3.5" / 5.25" Bay, 68-in-one, USB 2.0, Card Reader
  • Custom Magnetic Hybrid RGB/UV LED Lighting w/ Remote - 30cm
  • Standard Wiring with Precision Cable Routing and Tie-Down
  • Windows 10 Home 64-bit DVD OEM
  • System Recovery (secure HDD partition only)
  • CHALLENGER Prime, Blue/Red/Purple LED, Wired USB, Black, Gaming Keyboard
  • TUF Gaming M5, Aura Sync RGB LED, 6200dpi, Wired USB, Black, Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Z333, 2.1 (2 x 8W + 24W), Wired Remote, Black, Retail Speaker System
  • AVA Basic (2-Year Labor / 1-Year Parts)

Solution
You don't want that cooler. If you plan to do ANY overclocking, AT ALL, on THAT CPU, you want either a very good 280, 360 or 420mm AIO or a full custom loop. No way you are going to be overclocking that CPU to any degree that's appreciable, on air. I don't think any of the 240mm AIO coolers are a good choice for that CPU. However, there are probably a few that are better than THAT cooler by Silverstone is. This is a CPU that you want to go a bit "overkill" with on the cooling, which will likely result in not being overkill but being barely sufficient.

And in point of fact, overclocking on it AT ALL, regardless of cooling, is probably not going to be very fruitful unless you delid. Even then, gains will likely be minimal compared to...
No the Heligon HE01, is inadequate for an Overclocked i9-10900K 10-Core 3.7 - 5.3GHz Turbo and would barely support the CPU at stock frequency. You are buying a "K" processor which is meant for Overclocking.
I recommend at min an AIO 240mm water cooled dual rad setup if it will fit.
Other major specs seem OK,

Reactions: deathsentry
You don't want that cooler. If you plan to do ANY overclocking, AT ALL, on THAT CPU, you want either a very good 280, 360 or 420mm AIO or a full custom loop. No way you are going to be overclocking that CPU to any degree that's appreciable, on air. I don't think any of the 240mm AIO coolers are a good choice for that CPU. However, there are probably a few that are better than THAT cooler by Silverstone is. This is a CPU that you want to go a bit "overkill" with on the cooling, which will likely result in not being overkill but being barely sufficient.

And in point of fact, overclocking on it AT ALL, regardless of cooling, is probably not going to be very fruitful unless you delid. Even then, gains will likely be minimal compared to what you'll have to invest to get them.

If you're going to run any of the big Intel CPUs these days, or even those from the Ryzen or TR4 lineup for that matter, overclocking is probably going to be a matter of only mitigating a lower all core boost and staying with the same clock as the single core boost, or settling for a very minimal gain of mayyyybe 100-200mhz. That's not much for the kind of investment you'd have to put into to it to get there. Probably better to just get a really good air cooler or a decent AIO and leave it at the stock configuration unless you are pretty confident of your overclocking skills historically.

Also, that cooler is ok, but it's a very old design and it really doesn't compare with the dual finstack coolers from today's world like the D15, R1 Ultimate, Silver arrow IBE extreme, etc. It's more along the lines of the D15S, although even that probably offers an advanced design by comparison and a quieter cooling fan.

Also, I would REALLY recommend ordering two additional Pure wings 140mm fans. One for the front to join the one there that is preinstalled, and one for the top-rear, as an exhaust, to joint the 120mm Pure wings fan that is installed in the lower rear location. Two fans only, which is what that case comes with, is not enough case cooling for THAT configuration you have.

Solution

deathsentry

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
No the Heligon HE01, is inadequate for an Overclocked i9-10900K 10-Core 3.7 - 5.3GHz Turbo and would barely support the CPU at stock frequency. You are buying a "K" processor which is meant for Overclocking.
I recommend at min an AIO 240mm water cooled dual rad setup if it will fit.
Other major specs seem OK,
Sigh..knew it was too good to be true..and avadirect doesn't include any AIO/water-cooled components in their solution list. Thank you!!! going to use another vendor

deathsentry

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009

And in point of fact, overclocking on it AT ALL, regardless of cooling, is probably not going to be very fruitful unless you delid. Even then, gains will likely be minimal compared to what you'll have to invest to get them.

If you're going to run any of the big Intel CPUs these days, or even those from the Ryzen or TR4 lineup for that matter, overclocking is probably going to be a matter of only mitigating a lower all core boost and staying with the same clock as the single core boost, or settling for a very minimal gain of mayyyybe 100-200mhz. That's not much for the kind of investment you'd have to put into to it to get there. Probably better to just get a really good air cooler or a decent AIO and leave it at the stock configuration unless you are pretty confident of your overclocking skills historically.

Also, that cooler is ok, but it's a very old design and it really doesn't compare with the dual finstack coolers from today's world like the D15, R1 Ultimate, Silver arrow IBE extreme, etc. It's more along the lines of the D15S, although even that probably offers an advanced design by comparison and a quieter cooling fan.

Also, I would REALLY recommend ordering two additional Pure wings 140mm fans. One for the front to join the one there that is preinstalled, and one for the top-rear, as an exhaust, to joint the 120mm Pure wings fan that is installed in the lower rear location. Two fans only, which is what that case comes with, is not enough case cooling for THAT configuration you have.
I was really hoping to do overclocking to get to 5.3..looking to keep this machine at least 6 to 8 years hopefully. I'll have to go with another vendor as axadirect doesn't provide any water/aio cooling components, just air. sigh..thank you so much for this!

Honestly, you should just build it yourself. If you can assemble a piece of furniture of most any type of Christmas gift that requires a several page leaflet for assembly, then you can assemble the components to build a PC and ANYBODY can install and configure Windows. Well, ok, MOST anybody. We've had a few real prize winners here through the years, but for the most part, it's something anybody can do. So is the build itself.

Then again, we do occasionally get somebody with ten thumbs, so I have to always assume people know themselves better than I do, but I will say that the majority of folks who've come here looking for recommendations on a prebuilt that I was able to talk into doing a self build, turned out to be very happy with the results AND they learned something along the way that you cannot get from a prebuilt system vendor and that is the satisfaction of doing it yourself plus in most cases, never needing to take it to somebody else ever again in the future to "fix" or "upgrade" anything.