Question New PC froze during windows 10 set-up, now stuck at black screen

WatchfulGuardian

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
My brand new MSI GL63 8RC came in the mail today from Newegg. Followed the quick start guide; plugged the charger in then proceeded to boot up without an issue. Made it through some of the set up before having the computer freeze at the Microsoft login page. Tried to ctrl+alt+del but nothing was working, so I did the only thing imaginable and turned off the laptop. Rebooted the PC to find no windows prompts or anything come up on the screen, just black. The keyboard lights still come on, so there is power just no visuals or anything audio.

I took the laptop to my school’s IT desk, they did a rough troubleshoot with the trying to deplete the battery(internal) but to no avail. Anything more they’d do would void the warranty.

I’m student and in the middle of midterms so if there’s any fix out there please share! I don’t really want to wait 2+ weeks for a replacement to come in. Thanks!

Feb 17, 2019
It's possible its a faulty screen, you should at least be able to see the boot screen if it was windows.If you have an hdmi cord available you can plug it into the laptop and tv and turn it on and see if it shows up on the tv.

Feb 17, 2019
Fn +f5 to switch to external monitor possibly otherwise sounds like graphics card issue. That would explain why you can't see it on an external monitor. The best thing may be to send it back if its under warranty. I have limited tech knowledge so someone else may be of more assistance.