New PC game freeze please help..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brayden23

Reputable
Oct 27, 2018
Okay, I need some help

Specs:
CPU: i7-9700k with Kraken X52 cooler
MOBO: Asrock Z390 Taichi
GPU: Aorus Xtreme 1080 ti 11G
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz TWO 2x8 Kits ( didn't know this was bad)
Storage: OS drive Samsung M.2, 3TB Seagate storage HD
PSU: Corsair RM850x (2018 model)

THE PROBLEM
So, I am having a issue where my games will launch (tested with Fortnite and COD Black ops 4) the menus will come up fine usually then I get into a game and within 30 seconds the match will freeze up. I can't close, I have to task manager and force shut down the games.
The rest of the PC works fine I can tab down and use other features but the game will be stuck until I force close. (through all this I still get sound from the game even when froze.

Some of my troubleshoots
Windows is up to date
I've used the program to remove all nvidia files and then updated to the latest drivers.
My bios is up to date.
All of my hardware is staying cool
I used a stability test Nvidia support recommended to see if the GPU crashed and it ran for a hour and a half with no problems.

I am completely lost on what to do next
My ram load seems to be fine, CPU load stays under 40%
HELP!!

Should be noted, I did boot up rocket league and it seemed to function properly?? Maybe because it is a easier game to run.

Hopefully someone has some answers. Thank you so much!

The front fans RF-AR120-B1 have 1.35mm static pressure with 52.44 CFM.

The rear fans have 2.93mm static pressure with 73.11 CFM. Those RF-AP120-FP fans SHOULD be in front, BUT you don't want fans with a lower CFM in back either.

What case do you have? Moving the radiator to the top and simply eliminating those top exhaust fans, if your case supports it, or simply moving those rear radiator fans to the front and eliminating the other two fans, might be better configurations but then you look the aesthetic you probably want with those RGB fans in front so top mounting the radiator with the fans in an exhaust configuration might be the thing to do.

As I said though, if your temps are acceptable you may just want to leave it as is.

brayden23

Reputable
Oct 27, 2018
So I have the Corsair Crystal 460X. It is a compacted mid case. I tried to mount the radiator up top but my ram is led vengeance Corsair ram and the sink and leds sit really tall the rad and fans wouldn’t fit.. aesthetic can be taxing..

As dumb as it is the aesthetic would be ruined if I moved around the fans as suggested.. if I have cooling issues I’ll sacrifice looks and do what’s necessary haha.

Totally understandable.

Another option might be simply, at some later date if you find the cooling isn't as good as what it ought to be, upgrading to a fan that has both RGB AND high static pressure and CFM.

There aren't many RGB fans out there with good specs, but there are a couple. They ain't cheap though, I'll tell you that for nothing.

The Thermaltake Riing 120's or Corsair Maglev RGB 120's are decent. They are nowhere near the performance of the top five high static pressure non-RGB fans, but for RGB fans those are probably among the best currently available. Unfortunately, the companies that make the best fans aren't much worried about jumping on the RGB bandwagon. Noctua, Thermalright (Not Thermaltake), Blacknoise and the handful of other really high end fan manufacturers just don't care about RGB as they know all the performance enthusiasts really don't either.

The Corsair SP120's with RGB aren't bad either, but what you have now is probably just as good.

TRENDING THREADS